I am SO ready to quit!! :(

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
I'm sitting here in tears at the end of my rope. This has been the worst year ever for me losing birds. First, I had a fox pick off about 20 birds of various ages early in the year, then I had a whole brood of 15 chicks die from cocci. My turkeys hatched lots of babies, but then either they died or were eaten, so I only had ONE of maybe 40 total survive, not counting the 5 I bought in the spring of which only 1 of those survived. Back in October I bought 2 Serama, 1 OEGB, and one Silkie, and 3 BLRW roos. One of the BLRW got out the third evening after I bought him without me knowing it, and nothing but feathers was there the next day. I've kept the small ones in the shed at night and the Silkie in the pen with the others. Now the Serama pullet is missing, and I find the OEGB dead this morning in my front yard. The shed is in the backyard. I have no idea what is getting into the shed or how or why my very' usless dogs haven't done anything. I even have cats that live in the shed, and whatever it was didn't care. I know it's not my dogs or the cats...they've never messed with them. Whatever got the OEBG just crunched it's head and left it.

Needless to say, I'm fit to be tied. If something came and wiped out all my birds at this point, I'd probably consider it a blessing because I'm so upset, I almost could care less.

I am so very sorry for your troubles.
hugs.gif

Don't quit. You know many of us are dying for eggs from you BLRWs. I wish we could all help you.

I am so sorry to hear that. I think at this point I would feel the same way you do. If you can make it through this year with at least some of your birds maybe next year will be better.
hugs.gif

we have cats and they will kill a small chick, but they don't bother with the bigger birds,
our dogs, we have beagles, and they don't mess with the chickens, unless we aren't looking, they are in their own pen during the day and at night in the house. we also have donkeys that patrol the grounds, keeping coyotes and neighbors dogs away.
we have had problems with skunks eating heads off chickens, pullets, that was last summer. we removed them. I read in another post that a opossoms will killed a hen.
what kind of dogs do you have?
I wouldn't give up, it just sounds like you need a new plan to house them and keep them safe. are you near the woods? coons will also eat the heads, but usually take the whole bird.
weasels and foxes too.
sounds like you are being attacked by something.
good luck, I know it is terrible to lose birds, they are our pets, and we love them!
I hope you find some ideas here.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
I know it sounds cheesy, but it's always darkest before the dawn. Don't give up and don't get depressed. We have had a horrible year, but hidden blessings were hidden all along. Next year is a new year. I am a Christian, don't know if you are. PM me for what I found works. Toocorny for most people.
hugs.gif

We do live in a rural subdivision with woods on three sides, and a fence on only one. I put out a trap earlier in the year and caught a possum, but I have seen one other small one since. My Aussie shepherd mix hates them with a passion and will kill them if she can catch them, so I'm pretty sure it's not a possum problem. It's possible I have a raccoon in the yard, but I'm not sure if it's what's doing it. Whatever it is, it hits fast and hard and is gone before I even know it's been there and isn't afraid of my cats and dogs. It can also flatten itself out pretty good, because the shed door is barely cracked and the cats have to squeeze in and out.

My husband is moving his job to our house in a month or two and will have a new building out back. Our idea is to fence in the back area to preven the birds from coming in the shed when the door is open (they've created a horrible mess on the floor
roll.png
), and fence off the perimeter of the property to keep predators out, or at least make it harder for them to get in. It will also keep what odds'n'ends birds I have running loose from foraging in the brush. I just wish I was able to do it sooner, rather than later. I think what is most upsetting is the monetary loss and the frustration of having breeding plans I wanted to carry out, but now not only have I paid for some critter's buffet, I've also lost future profit and feed money. The darn thing is only eating the birds I've paid for!!
somad.gif

If I did not have the big barn I have I would not be raising but a few kitchen hens myself.

I hope things work out better with your newer arrangements.

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for all your horrible experiences this year. I had a really rough time with my goats this year and nearly sold out many times. I eventually just downsized a lot to a easy to manage number and am going to try from there. Already the relief is huge. I do hope you're able to kill whatever it is that's getting your birds. I hope you can put them in a safe pen for nights. Good luck.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom