I am sooo mad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 19, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I had 9 silkies that are almost a week old. Again my waterer malfunctioned, last time was my bantams. This time on my silkies and one of my silkies was dead this morning. All wet, cold and stepped on. [​IMG] I am so tired of these waterers. I now cut a gallon milk jug and stuck the waterer in their and so hopefully if it leaks again it won't be all over my poor babies. I just want them to all grow up so they are past this brooder stage. Now I just may have to get more silkies.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you check to see if there was a leak in the plastic upper part?

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    This is a different one from the last one. From what I did see on both, neither had cracks. I am not sure why they are soaking my brooders. I wouldn't think the baby chicks would weigh enough to make it tip enough to empty. IDK, I am just frustrated with worry all the time. My poor babies.

4. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    What kind of waterer do you have? I use one of the ones that use the mason jars for when they are really little.

Maybe you could put a puppy pad under the waterer. That way if it leaks it will get absorbed by the pad and not all over the brooder.

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I put the waterers in a foil pie pan or a flan pan I got at Goodwill...The chicks don't seem to mind, and if the waterer overflows, most of it gets caught by the pan.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
  7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I don't know what your brooder is made of, but maybe you could put a couple of small holes in the bottom so the water would drain out?? Just a thought...

If this keeps happening, I would suggest for you to try a different type of waterer.

8. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I have one of the mason jar types and have wired the base to a brick so that it is not top heavy and cannot get knocked over. As a bonus it keeps it up out of the shavings. I lost a chick to a knock over once. These rotten things happen and you have to take them one by one and plan to not let it happen again. Good luck with the eight you have left. I love the silkies.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm using a waterer that's designed for cats, it has a food compartment and a water compartment and fits a 1 liter or 20oz soda bottle in the center for the water. It's wide and stable and easy to refill so I like it.

I got it because it holds somewhat less water and is easier to change out since I'm changing it pretty often.

Here they are climbing on it without the water bottle on.
    [​IMG]

They can scratch the food out of it easy, so I just put grit in the food compartment. I still feed in the regular mason jar type feeder.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by