I am supposed to manage them. I think they are managing me!

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok so I laid down the ground rules a few days ago. Big chickens stay out of the fenced off area for the teenage chickens. Teenage chickens decided they don't want to be fenced in and all fly over the fence to be chased by big flipping HUGE rooster, which causes the kids to come in screaming. Fine fine, ok everyone back in the fence and stay inside. yea right out they come again, this time the 1/4 size of my rooster barred rock tried to challenge big rooster. Again screaming kids. This is going on whenever big chickens are in the coop. Driving me up the ever loving wall. Stay in the fence you little nut cases. ( its a tall fence, the ones who cannot fly over it fly as high as they can and hold onto the fence and climb the rest of the way. I don't think they are normal.

So I have hens who love their abusive rooster, a rooster who is ripping out feathers left and right ( btw will aprons help with that), 14 teenagers who are escape artists, 1 silkie and 5 polish who apparently hate me cause even when I bring treats they go nuts trying to escape me and 3 kids who do not think I am protecting the teenagers enough and should go right in their and kick the roosters butt and tell their babies to behave. Yea cause they are so going to listen.

Welcome to my world! Enjoy your stay.
wink.png

lau.gif

gig.gif

Just like human teenagers, they don't want boundaries and to be fenced in...don't worry- a few times of getting their butt kicked and they will learn it is safer inside the fence.

Or maybe not.
tongue.png

I never have laugh so hard as when I read your story!
lau.gif
I have my larger chicks in a covered pen that was built inside the hens coop so they see each other but they can not hurt each other. This has worked beautifully as when I do let the chicks out when they get bigger to live with the hens there is no chasing or pecking going on, it's like they have always been together, it's great! Hang in there it will get better.
welcome-byc.gif

Yea thats what we tried to do. He fenced in a corner for them. Its a super tall fence. I guess it needs a top too. They can't fly over it and I did not know they could climb like that. I thought I was raising chickens not monkeys. They were out again this morning. The little barred rock is trying to get friendly with the adult hens already. Thankfully MR Roo was locked outside for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom