I am sure this is normal but I worry

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hey ya'll!

I am sure this is going to sound dumb but since my favorite chicken randomly passed away I worry a lot more. My other Plymouth Rock seems to just be lying around. I know chickens just sit and rest but she doesn't seem to care much if I pet her or pick her up. She has never really ran from me but she normally gets up and move around. The other two I have don't "chill" like she does but they are Easter Eggers and my pullet is a spaz, my rooster acts normal. Ruth, my Rock, is not as active. I am hoping this a normal thing before they lay eggs and that there isn't anything wrong with her. She is just over 17 weeks old. I do not have any other Rocks to compare her behavior too. She has always been more laid back than my crazy Easter Egger. Please tell me this is normal. I do not see anything physically wrong with her.

Thanks!

Melissa

Has she always been like this? Or is this a new development?
I agree with aart I would leave her with the rest and closely monitor her. If she shows no other symptoms my guess would be that's she just getting use to you being around. It's been awhile since I've had chickens, but out of my chicks my barred rock pullet will come over to my hand and jump in and overall seems to be less flighty compared to some of the others.

I agree with aart I would leave her with the rest and closely monitor her. If she shows no other symptoms my guess would be that's she just getting use to you being around. It's been awhile since I've had chickens, but out of my chicks my barred rock pullet will come over to my hand and jump in and overall seems to be less flighty compared to some of the others.
I believe she has Coccidiosis. I did separate her but only so I can keep an eye on her. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I have been giving her fluids via syringe. She has had 2 doses of Corid. I am about to treat my other 2. Once I know she is eating and drinking I will put her back.

I believe she has Coccidiosis. I did separate her but only so I can keep an eye on her. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I have been giving her fluids via syringe. She has had 2 doses of Corid. I am about to treat my other 2. Once I know she is eating and drinking I will put her back.
Was she showing other signs for coccidiosis? Did she stop eating and drinking before or during treatment?

Back
Top Bottom