I am the worst quail mommy ever

TheWeeBee

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
My pair of buttonss just recently hatched two chicks, the second of which I'd helped out of her shell. I have a plate of fine-ground crumble inside the pen to make it easier for the chicks to eat. It also has a ceramic bowl with food for the parents, and a small water dish with marbles for the chicks to drink.

I had just put in fresh food for them all and placed the plate inside the pen without looking where it was going. I accidentally squished the second chick when I did that, and she suffocated. I didn't see her when I went to check on them and tore the area surrounding the pen apart, thinking she'd escaped. Then I lifted the plate and saw her cold flattened little body. I am so sorry little baby! God I feel awful and can't stop crying.

I'm pretty sure there is hope for you. Considering you didn't have to share that at all but still felt responsible enough too. We've all made similar mistakes. It sucks to be directly responsible for losing a chick but pretty much everyone raising chicks has been there.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'm feeling better now--I just become to attached to these little guys because I keep them as pets and not as mere functional birds like aviary janitors. At least there was a lesson to be learned: Always watch where I place things in the pen!

The little chick was so attached to her daddy, and he's been looking for her all morning. At least the other one is in good shape and happily follows mum or dad around, often going off by himself to explore :)

I am so sorry little baby! God I feel awful and can't stop crying.
Please don't beat yourself up over this. It wasn't like you intended to harm your little chick.

Since you spoke up, I'll admit that I have had a slip up that cost one of my bobwhite chicks their life: I normally place a small glass bowl of water with a sponge cut up into strips to increase the humidity. During the last 2 hatches I've had, I've seen chicks hop up onto the bowl with no problems, however, this last time, I added more than the usual amount of water to the bowl at lock down, and when the first chick hatched, it climbed on top of the bowl and drowned in the bowl. I quickly pulled the chick out and placed some hardware cloth over the top of the bowl to prevent any future boo boos. I felt extremely bad for for the next 5 hours until the next chick hatched.

A horrible quail parent wouldn't have felt any remorse for what had happened. Use this as a learning experience.

James

I've had some close calls. One of the chicks I handled and it flapped out of my hands and landed on the concrete. It was dragging its foot the first day, the second day it was limping on it but now it seems to be moving around okay. Not as fast as she used to be but at least she is putting weight on it so she might just be in the healing process too. We all make mistakes and they are also slippery fast little buggers!

We've had our fair share of lost chicks...from trying to help them out of their shell. and having them die.....to having the cats get in the brooder and playing to rough with them...No ones perfect...

Back
Top Bottom