I ate my first duck egg, it was a little strong :/

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
Well, this morning I ate my first duck egg and one chicken egg. Maybe it was just because I have never eaten one before, but it seemed a little too strong for me. I guess I will just have to get used to it, because I have 9 hens! All well, I am glad I got to try something new!
big_smile.png
I heard they are also really good for baking, is that true.
smile.png

I heard they are also really good for baking, is that true.
smile.png

I've heard the same thing from a friend of mine. Apparently the thicker texture holds things together better. And I've also heard that duck eggs are supposed to be healthier for you than chicken eggs, too. Go duckies!
big_smile.png

Well, first time I scrambled up our fresh (chicken) eggs... I had gotten some chorizo (free with purchase deal) so I figured we'd try it... ANYWHO Hubby's response was "I don't know if it's just because I was expecting it or not, but these taste very eggy to me"

Tasted weird to me, but that was the chorizo.. boiled, scrambled, fried... they've all tasted normal to me... and to the kids... In laws mentioned in reference to the eggs and/or strawberry jam I sent (donno if just eggs, just jam or both) ... "I'd forgotten how GOOD food used to taste!" A pretty good compliment IMHO.
smile.png

Anywho, that's the only experience I've got... and that was chicken, not duck, eggs... so *passes salt cellar*

As far as eating the duck eggs, taste is too strong for me too, the protein is too high and leaves a funky taste afterwards. However, I do love to bake with them, best eggs to bake with. I do alot of baking and everyone always asks for the recipes, its the duck eggs that make them taste so wonderful!

Same here. I save all duck eggs for baking and giving away for extras when I sell my eggs! tooo strong and thick
sickbyc.gif
for over easy eggs!!!

Keep in mind that fresh food will always taste much stronger and richer than anything you can buy in a store. And sometimes that takes a little getting used to, lol! Duck eggs are firmer than chicken eggs, and slightly richer, but other than that, I can't tell much difference between them and farm fresh chicken eggs. However, I do prefer them and won't ever go back to chicken again.

As for baking, my friend who is a personal chef and buys a lot of my eggs (about a dozen a week on average) LOVES them for her baking. The proteins are different and give a higher loft to the baked goods. She couldn't believe how her angel food cake came out the first time she used duck eggs.

For me, it's gotten to the point that I simply can't order eggs when I'm out at a restaurant because they are so icky--pale, watery, tasteless things that make me want to gag. I guess if I were growing all my own food, I probably wouldn't be able to stand to eat anything else, lol.

Anyway--I hope the flavor grows on you. If not, they can always be used in recipes, and your family will be healthier for it!

Back
Top Bottom