I bet you've never heard of an albino tree! W/ pics!

Is the sapling well anchored to the tree? If it is dying, it would not be albino colored, more like brown like any other species dies.

How is the root system?

Could it be the pesticides they might have been spraying in the area?

Quote:
I didn't see clearly how well it was connected with the tree. As you can see in my picture, there were a few live leaf clusters, just like any normal redwood in the same condition. Notice there are also lots of brown dead leaves.
IMGP5804.jpg

Again, I can't say anything about the root system.

This is in the area of a national park, and besides that it's in dense forest, so there are no pesticides. Most young redwood trees in such an area die before they can reach very high, just like any other saplings in a forest like this where there is not enough sunlight to reach the forest floor. Few actually become the giant sequoias. So the tree's death id completely normal; in fact, to be expected.

Last edited:
Quote:
Because the Albino Redwood lacks chlorophyll which is needed for photosynthesis, they are dependent on a host Redwood tree for nutrients. Albino Redwoods are saprophytic, meaning it is a root parasite, receiving its nutrients from a host Redwood tree.​

You see albino seedling in citrus fairly often (about 1/1000 seedlings), most die off in the first few days due to lack of cholophill for photosynthsis. My guess here is that that's attached to some green leaves either by roots, or the browned leaves were once green. I've seen white leaves as a sport on a passifloria years ago, one branch was white, the rest glossy and green as usual.

Back
Top Bottom