I blew it not on level ground!

My cute project has me on the verge of giving up. Farm store coop, good for sleeping at this point and safety, until I get it figured out. 10x12 run under construction… I made a huge mistake by just doing and not figuring it out fully. Land is not level #1, so now coop is crooked, in mud with attached hardware cloth, which I need to disassemble, put on cinder pavers on perimeter of coop. How do I finish the base of run? So discouraged… please give me constructive ideas. Big difference between back corner and rest of structure. My thoughts are cinderpavers. I just purchased 150 cinder pavers and using cinderblocks I have.

Attachments

• 48453081-B1B1-4C9F-B665-3A055A3082FB.jpeg
    48453081-B1B1-4C9F-B665-3A055A3082FB.jpeg
    812.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 77D8D4BC-09B1-406E-BAE3-C1FFDEEC4151.jpeg
    77D8D4BC-09B1-406E-BAE3-C1FFDEEC4151.jpeg
    995.2 KB · Views: 35
I know when things go wrong how disheartening it can be. I had an issue with my blocks not being level during my build (though I did put them down at the beginning). I don't have a photo from that moment, but this is it once I'd fixed it.

My issue was that blocks dipped from left to right, then just past the middle they dipped right to left (the line below exaggerates it) which meant I could not get the frame square. I managed to get the blocks out from under it one at a time and adjust it enough without having to disassemble.

1627736935020.png

I'm guessing looking at your first picture you need to put blocks under the far left corner. You might be able to dig out under it and build the blocks up to it - you will probably need a few strong people to lift it up to the required height. Once that's done you can get the other blocks in easier.

That's going to be a great run once it's complete so stick at it, it will be worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Maybe you could use a car jack and lift it up, then put the pavers under....

Just what I was going to suggest. And be certain to crib it while you're working with any body parts under there in case it falls.

And either use solid blocks or be sure to orient the blocks with the holes running up and down -- because that's the strong direction. We have a shed that crushed the badly-oriented blocks and is now sitting crocked because an incompetent shed mover used them in the wrong orientation.

I know when things go wrong how disheartening it can be. I had an issue with my blocks not being level during my build (though I did put them down at the beginning). I don't have a photo from that moment, but this is it once I'd fixed it.

My issue was that blocks dipped from left to right, then just past the middle they dipped right to left (the line below exaggerates it) which meant I could not get the frame square. I managed to get the blocks out from under it one at a time and adjust it enough without having to disassemble.

View attachment 2780276

I'm guessing looking at your first picture you need to put blocks under the far left corner. You might be able to dig out under it and build the blocks up to it - you will probably need a few strong people to lift it up to the required height. Once that's done you can get the other blocks in easier.

That's going to be a great run once it's complete so stick at it, it will be worth it in the end.
Thanks for your encouragement!! Greatly appreciated!

Just what I was going to suggest. And be certain to crib it while you're working with any body parts under there in case it falls.

And either use solid blocks or be sure to orient the blocks with the holes running up and down -- because that's the strong direction. We have a shed that crushed the badly-oriented blocks and is now sitting crocked because an incompetent shed mover used them in the wrong orientation.
Exactly… the blocks will be going in opening side up…we lift with blocks and piece of wood for leverage… starting to feel like Fred Flintstone!

Last edited:

View attachment 2780276

Looks great!!

Bummer, that sucks. I had to deal with uneven terrain too, it was a lot of work to get it right.

If I was in this situation I would put two stacks of blocks on either side of the coop, about 2ft tall. Then, using a jack of some sort (car jack, hi-lift/farm jack, etc), lift up the frame and slide some runners underneath it so it's resting on those stacks of blocks. Now you've got room to do any digging/leveling on the ground to set your pavers/cinder block foundation nice and level, before lowering it back down onto it.

If you need any advice on how to actually do that, I can give some pointers.

Back
Top Bottom