I borrowed a bator, Little Giant with a auto turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pnp4kidz, Feb 7, 2009.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

and my eggs should be on their way here Monday,
    any advice on this bator? will it do?
    I have not seen a peep on here about this brand!
    that scares me!!!

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    People talk about it a lot! It should do fine just not sure about humidity control.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Nothing wrong with those. They work as good as any other foam incubator. Put them in a closet where the temp is stable they work great. Make sure you have it set an running for a few days befor ya put the eggs in if ya can.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

There's quite a bit of feedback on here about the LGs...either you love them or you hate them.....I'm in the latter catagory.

5. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I was in your shoes not even a month ago. Get that bator setup now, double check the turner that it does work. The thermostat is very touchy, and you will have to "tinker" with it so you get that temp. set where you want it...Everyone says 101 degrees but you will be fine at 99 or 100...better to be under than having that temp up to 104.
    The temp will raise and fall on you so be sure to check in on it a few times a day. I put filled some metal lids in the bottom of the tray to help with having some extra water in there, ( i had to add water 3 times during the incubation), it helped get my humidity up to about 60% then come the last 3 days I took out the turner added a wet sponge to get that humidity up to 75% and let the chicks do the rest.
    Im sure there will be a few folks say I did it all wrong but this worked for me, I had a hatch out of 6 chicks with 10 eggs.

6. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    My lg worked great. I added a pill container top to the dial. I drilled a hole in the pill top and slid it over the dial. It made it so much easier to adjust. I also made a mark at 99.5 so I could keep an eye on it. At day 18 I lined the bottom on one side with sponges. I added a pc fan to mine for a more stable temp. Good luck.

7. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all, I feel better.
    I will be setting it up today and running it...
    I just bought a new digital thermometer with humidity reading, will be here Tuesday, so I am hoping it's all good....
    :)
    I'll let you know!

8. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a little giant for years and it works fine. Just added an automatic turner this weekend.

9. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Just relax and have a great time. I always remember that eggs started out being hatched under a chicken. I think that any incubator can be just fine, too much control and things get to be not fun anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by