I built my own incubator to hatch my first chickens.

Here is a pic with the new 15 eggs. Looks like I could fit 9 more eggs in there. Now I know that my incubator can handle 3 dozen eggs. Very nice.

My egg tuner motor came in today, so I put it together. Now I no longer have to turn my eggs. It all automated now. YA!

Does that egg turner work as well as the video showed?
I am designing my incubator right now and ordered the same motor type and was considering building that same one.

Also could you please share a few more details about the software and which temp sensor you are using with it?

Thing looks awesome we will have to compare notes here in a few months and see what we come up with.

The software for the temp/humidity sensor is called Audrino. It's a open source coding software for programming hardware. The hardware that I programed with the Audrino software is call RFduino but that's just because a friend let me borrow his. Audrino has there own hardware too. The temp/humidity sensor that I used is an Adafruit AM2302 but any DH22 or DH11 will work. I searched a thread on how to program it and just followed the steps.

The YouTube video that I followed to make the egg turner seems to be the best type in my opinion. So far it seems to be working great but I just finished it today so time will tell I guess.

Thanks for the info.

I still think I might mark the first couple batches with X and O just to make sure there is no odd shaped egg that would cause them to just slide.
Sorry my wife has trained me to jump to the worst possible conclusion in one single thought. LOL
the whole setup looks incredible the egg turner really has me curious.

I do have them marked with X and O. Today is the 5th day if incubation and I have turned them by hand until today. When I first turned on the motor all eggs were at O. I checked them an hour ago and they were all on X. The only way that they couldn't turn is if the wooden rods were too close together and the eggs were resting atop of two rods and not touching the table below it. As long as there is a little wiggle room in between the two wooden dowels then it has to roll. When I set my eggs I noticed that some eggs had more wiggle room between some wooden rods than others. Just make sure you can see a little space between the egg and one of the wooden rods and you will be good. Still mark them though.

Good luck to you! I bought a cheapy incubator from TSC, set my eggs about an hour ago. FIngers crossed for all of us! I have a flock already, 9 babies brooding I got from a friend, and 41 in transit from McMurray. Decided to use my own yard eggs for the first attempt. We can all learn from each other! This is such fun for all our families.

Back
Top Bottom