I Can’t Get Their Rear Ends Out of the Run At Night!

It's hot, 'airless', and small.
In TX you'd want more of an open air coop/run.

I know you are a SW Michigander like me! I have been reading way too much on building coops and would like to get your input on positioning the coop. We are doing a prefab for the time being due to building delays but I was told not to have windows facing north, and am getting confused. How much ventilation is necessary? I currently have 5 girls but want to build out for the potential for 10. We will be living in a rural area so there is some flexibility. Have read about chicken math and want to be sure it’s done right.

I know you are a SW Michigander like me! I have been reading way too much on building coops and would like to get your input on positioning the coop. We are doing a prefab for the time being due to building delays but I was told not to have windows facing north, and am getting confused. How much ventilation is necessary? I currently have 5 girls but want to build out for the potential for 10. We will be living in a rural area so there is some flexibility. Have read about chicken math and want to be sure it’s done right.
Regarding chicken math if there is a possibility you will chase a second breed type build towards that breed and consider a second coop. I have said this 100's of times before but the two breeds I currently keep have entirely differing coop requirements. My Sumatra roost high, fly well and follow on generations may well choose the trees for some reason this last month they are trying to move to the front porch railings. The Silkies are very ground oriented sure they do not need the 8-10' high roof I built for them but I do. The silkies would be happy with a 2' roof. In the future I want to add Malay and they do not meet either of my other breeds keeping requirements being non-flighted and 3 feet tall.

Last edited:
in Texas this is a good idea for your next coop im in Northern Ohio my babies love there coop and it isn't even close to Texas heat 2 1/2 open sides

Attachments

• 20200603_075646.jpg
    20200603_075646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200603_075630.jpg
    20200603_075630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
We are doing a prefab for the time being due to building delays but I was told not to have windows facing north, and am getting confused. How much ventilation is necessary?
Have read 1sqft per bird.....but it really depends on climate and site, the more the better. Best to start your own thread to ask for specific advice.

It is a tough choice...we are in the corpus christi area and purchased a 1/3 acre house that had been unoccupied for a minimum of 3 year and most likely 4 or 5. So everything had to be redone and I was traveling 4 out of 5 days a week...progress was/ is slow..coop choice and building is quite a process and daunting at times as its more than just a box for chickens to sleep. Our girls are VERY spoiled and pampered but in my opinion well worth the effort. The people here have helped us greatly and appreciate ALL the advice and comments they have given. I have a better grasp of how to do the right thing for the chickens in any given situation and the confidence that what I don't know will be answered quickly here.

The next coop I construct will have as close to 2 square feet of ventilation per bird as I can get BUT it will have easy ways to open or close as weather dictates and will use all 4 sides of ventilation. The best I have determined is you can't have to much ventilation ever.

I have been using the idea that if my ventilation is adequate my coop will be no hotter inside than outside. :)

We or I should say my better half switched up how our 2 different aged flocks go in for the night. The bigs were going in just fine from day 1...then the little were introduced and for a couple of weeks it was a nightmare to get the littles in until we actually saw the bigs making the littles run the gauntlet to get to their spot to perch. She said just let the little in the coop run first and close the gate separating the bigs from the littles and viola...littles go in and perch and then I let the bigs in and they go in and perch and they live happily ever after lol

Back
Top Bottom