I can’t stand the heartache any longer

I just need to let out emotion among those who understand that chickens for many, myself included, are beloved pets just like any other pet. July and August has not been kind. I have now lost 4 chickens and nearly lost another. Today marks the 3rd week in a row with loss from my flock. Sudden illness took two, and today I put down my sweet Lil Red Hen, aka lil red devil-Donald. She (yes, she) was a very good girl despite her hard bite, the most consistent layer of jumbo speckled brown eggs. For most of her life she had deformed feet. She was a very heavy chicken (11 lb) on short squatty legs with splayed toes. Last summer I found a hard white nodule on a toe, several months later another then another on both feet. She developed swelling. I treated for scaly leg mites, gave foot spa baths- it improved but never normal. Then the nodules became calcific and spread. Treated for fungal.. no change. For a month she toddled around the run- no longer able to hop or walk planks to go outside. I built handicap ramps and low steps 2-4 inches to help her mobility. I carried her to roost and took her off. I made floor nests for her.
This past week she could no longer walk. She used her wings for support and would no longer sit on her feet pads without whimpering. She was cozy in my basement for two nights on my dogs fluffy (washable) pillow (thx Maddie), hand fed and given lots of love. Today she sat on a patch of clover in full sun in my garden and spread her wings. She found and ate a bug. She ate a fresh cherry tomato, minus a few seeds.
When she had enough sun I took her to a shady spot under the sunflowers and dahlias. A final hug, a kiss, a lot of tears. I buried her in my garden and plant a rose trellis there and dahlias in Spring.
Too much emotion in too short of time.
Most here can understand the pain. I’m sorry for having to join that sad sad club.
May God bless our pets.
RIP Sweets, Daphne, Livvy, and lil Red. ❤️
Im so sorry about yout losses. Its so hard to loose things you are so attached to

So very sorry for your losses this year and especially your beloved hen. This is one of the only places that truly understand what you are dealing with and the compassion to allow you to share your heart with those of us here that admittedly LOVE our chickens.

Even though we all have shared experiences, nothing equals yours, we only pray for your emotional health and healing. I'm very glad you were gifted this special hen and I know you took great care of her, this certainly comes out with your written words.

Hug your other chickens today, I find great peace in the companionship of my flock and so will you...in time.
Thank you for those kind words of advice; hug your chickens- exactly what I did with the two youngest that love to sit on my lap.

Sadly, this is the downside of the joy that these fascinating creatures bring us. I feel for you, I lost two in a week last month, but four? That's really hard. You did well by Lil Red, she was a lucky girl to have you.
thank you so much. 😊

I’m so sorry for your losses they couldn’t have had a better home we recently loss our easter speckled suxxix mix Autumn Rest in peace little chickens (forgive my spelling)
thank you!
I’m sorry for your loss- Autumn is a beautiful name for a specked chicken. Very clever ❤️

Back
Top Bottom