I can only have 2 chickens.......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by murdeb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    per county ordinance......so my question is, do I get 2 hens or 1 hen and one rooster? Someone said the eggs are better if you get a rooster? I'm also not sure what kind to get. Can anyone give this newbie some advice? Thanks!

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    now, roosters make no differnce to the eggs. that's a myth [​IMG] i suggest that you get two hens, they will keep each other company and you will get several eggs a week from the two.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG]
    The decision of what gender of chicken to get is up to you. I have had all female and roos with females, I have never noticed a difference in egg taste. If it were me, I would get 2 hens so you have more eggs. The better quality feed will make all the difference in egg quality, in my opinion [​IMG]

4. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd go with 2 hens. More eggs & no crowing!

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

6. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Wow! Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! I like this place! Now I just need to get started on building a coop! Should I get chicks or adult birds?

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I agree,

get two hens -- they will keep each other company, they will give you great eggs-- the rooster is only needed if you want baby chicks, and if you had them, you would exceed your two chicken limit.

Welcome and enjoy your new birds when you get everything situated the way you want.

My vote would be for pullets at about 16-weeks old, if yoiu can find nice healthy chickens with the traits you are looking for. You will have them for their entire laying life and you won't have to wait 6-months to get your first eggs as you would with chicks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Two hens. [​IMG]

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you joined. I agree, just get hens. We really enjoyed watching our chicks grow into hens. yes the waiting for the first egg seems to go on forever but, it is certainly worth the wait and it gives you time to learn about how to care for them and build a proper coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by