I cannot decide between Silkie or polish chicks for next spring!!

Silkies have there brains on the outside of there skulls, One Blow to the head will cause them to get injured and wry neck, this is just ONE small example of the kind of issues..

Really?!? their brains are outside of their skull. How can something even evolve that has their brains outside of this skull. So they are always one knock away
from a total lobotomy. What kind of measures can I take to keep them safe?

The coop I have for them has a low ramp that leads to the nesting boxes. The roots are low, and sand is in the run. What else can I do to make their digs safe?

This is the little coop that I have for them. I plan on getting 3 bantam silkies. They can roam in the fenced in garden where their coop sits. Its is low to the ground, has no tall or long
ladder to climb to get to the coop. The run has sand and access to the garden which is now secured with a fence to keep my other big girls (Buff Orphingtons) out of their roaming grounds. Never mind the rooster stand in front, he is quality control. :)

There home is GORGEOUS, they have a lot of activities going on. LOL they will be very busy. LOL..

Yes, silkies have a hole where there brains stick out of it. Nothing you can really do it's just the way a silkie is, sometimes they can get injured by a rooster just mating with them. it's rare but could happen. I'm sure all silkie owners have had there surprising moments with a silkie being sick... some will admit to it and some may not.. Regardless it should be something to consider.

I'm not saying a silkie isn't a good choice, because I love mine, I have them for years.. they are definitely a great choice if you have young ones, it's a chicken that you can feel safe with having them handle them and a silkie will love to be picked up and cuddled. LOL

There home is GORGEOUS, they have a lot of activities going on. LOL they will be very busy. LOL..

Yes, silkies have a hole where there brains stick out of it. Nothing you can really do it's just the way a silkie is, sometimes they can get injured by a rooster just mating with them. it's rare but could happen. I'm sure all silkie owners have had there surprising moments with a silkie being sick... some will admit to it and some may not.. Regardless it should be something to consider.

I'm not saying a silkie isn't a good choice, because I love mine, I have them for years.. they are definitely a great choice if you have young ones, it's a chicken that you can feel safe with having them handle them and a silkie will love to be picked up and cuddled. LOL

Thanks, I am glad you like their digs. It is a work in progress, I still have a lot of work to do before they get here next May. It just amazes me that their brains
are unprotected. Speaking of their fragile condition and mating, should I get a rooster? I ordered one so that I can have more silkies but I also don't want him
to hurt the girls. I guess I could put him in a separate coop if he gets to be a little too rough.

Thanks, I am glad you like their digs. It is a work in progress, I still have a lot of work to do before they get here next May. It just amazes me that their brains
are unprotected. Speaking of their fragile condition and mating, should I get a rooster? I ordered one so that I can have more silkies but I also don't want him
to hurt the girls. I guess I could put him in a separate coop if he gets to be a little too rough.
If you want a rooster, I would get one, don't let there traits discourage you, some are a little rough, but it doesn't stop them. Silkies have been around for a while, they make GREAT mommies so mating isn't always going to cause injuries.

I just wanted you to have a little more information about them so you have an idea of what could be expected. It doesn't happen on a day to day bases, it's just something to be aware of..

But if your thinking of getting silkies BY all means get them. I think the most fascinating thing about them is they have Black skin. LOL Unlike a normal or the usually chicken... and they are the only ones with Five toes.. Four toes is a default..

If you want a rooster, I would get one, don't let there traits discourage you, some are a little rough, but it doesn't stop them. Silkies have been around for a while, they make GREAT mommies so mating isn't always going to cause injuries.

I just wanted you to have a little more information about them so you have an idea of what could be expected. It doesn't happen on a day to day bases, it's just something to be aware of..

But if your thinking of getting silkies BY all means get them. I think the most fascinating thing about them is they have Black skin. LOL Unlike a normal or the usually chicken... and they are the only ones with Five toes.. Four toes is a default..

I think I am going to get some silkies. Would I be able to get mixed colors such as black and white, or do I need to stick with just one color? Was not sure if the difference in
colors would cause any issues or not. I cannot decide between the black and the white, so I thought I would get both. Would they produce a splash coloration in off spring?

I think I am going to get some silkies. Would I be able to get mixed colors such as black and white, or do I need to stick with just one color? Was not sure if the difference in
colors would cause any issues or not. I cannot decide between the black and the white, so I thought I would get both. Would they produce a splash coloration in off spring?
Nope color doesn't matter..

I actually just learned today that the Mottled Houndan has 5 as well
D.gif
except theirs look much longer than a silkies 5th toe.

As for the OP, I have had one of each and to be honest I didn't really pay much attention to the way they acted. I know for sure the silkie would let me hold her with no problem and the polish was definitely nuts lol So from what I can tell is that silkies are much more calmer than the polish.

Here is a chart from an old post and I'll also include the link to the thread.

Sorry Maxx, but that's wrong. Black to Blue produces black and blue. Here are the crossings:

Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Blue x Blue = 25% Black 50% Blue 25% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue 50% Black
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/289033/silkie-colors-and-what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-colors

I've had both, and I actually don't know which one I prefer. Silkies are great broodies, not such great egg layers. Polish don't brood and their eggs are bigger. Silkies are cute and fluffy, easy to hold and good with kids. Polish are nutty and weird, hard to catch sometimes, but also good with my kids.

Depends on what you want. Silkies can't fly, so they have problems getting up and down from roosts, but then again, silkies can't fly, so they pretty much stay where you put them.

Hmm I still don't know which one I like better. I gave my silkies to my sister and still have my polish though, so I guess I prefer the polish. I like weird kooky chickens, and polish are definitely weird :D

Last edited:
I actually just learned today that the Mottled Houndan has 5 as well
D.gif
except theirs look much longer than a silkies 5th toe.

As for the OP, I have had one of each and to be honest I didn't really pay much attention to the way they acted. I know for sure the silkie would let me hold her with no problem and the polish was definitely nuts lol So from what I can tell is that silkies are much more calmer than the polish.

ok, thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom