I cannot figure out why this girl isn't laying

She's in the middle.
She sure looks like she's laying with that redred comb.

Yes, check her pelvic spacing, I go by the F-F spacing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @missalline
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1629282962425.png

She is a real beauty!

The arrival of the new pullets might add to her not laying, as just any change (loss of friends, new coop, feed change, shock from predator attack etc.) can lead to some weeks of not laying eggs.

Did you feel her pelvis bones to see how separated they are? She might be laying somewhere else and eat her own eggs.
Thank you! I also think she's beautiful.

I didn't even know that was a thing you could do. I'll see if I can figure out how to check later today. She isn't always super cooperative about being held.

@BigBlueHen53 @Ribh @rosemarythyme

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she was done. She's always been a bit odd. But when she was laying she was pretty consistent every-other-day, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
It sounds like you are taking excellent care of her! Can't think of anything else unless you have a snake helping itself. Maybe it's just time to order a new batch of chickies - like I just did, lol. My birds are still laying, but slowing down. Want to have new ones coming on for when the oldies poop out.

i bought a nice wyandotte bantam she is a year old but its been 2 months she isnt laying i have other hens too everyone eats the same food and they all lay but her

I was able to check the spacing of her pelvic bones today, and an egg could definitely fit. My housemate and I are going to start checking the boxes even more regularly

We don't have snakes here. I would suspect the squirrels, but I don't see how they would get in an out unscathed. Although I am reminded that my housemate saw a shrew in the coop a couple of weeks ago, and a brief google search says that they will eat eggs, so I'll also be looking into chicken-safe ways to prevent them from getting in.

Thanks everyone, for your help and ideas. I really appreciate it.

(I also check my pullets, even though I know they're still too young to lay. I could touch both of their pelvic bones with one finger!)

Back
Top Bottom