I cannot find an answer for this question! Liquid Permethrin Consentrate

quip17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Woodstock, On
Hello All!

I really need some help in figuring out how to dilute this liquid permethrin I bought to rid my birds of fleas. I would love to use Sevin, but it's banned in Ontario and unless I have a farm I cannot buy it from the farm store. My other option is DE (which I am considering in their dust bath, and Permethrin (liquid only).

I bought a small bottle of it - it's 250mL and the amount is 12.5g per Liter concentrate.

The label does not recommend use for chickens or hutches, but the farm store guy told me "off the record" that it works well and will be more effective that DE.
The label has instructions for diluting it for plants, shrubs, gardens and dealing with spiders....but of course nothing for poultry.

I have a 1/2 Gallon pump sprayer.

Please help me figure out dilution ratio!! I need to get them sprayed today!

~Quip~

Hello All!

I really need some help in figuring out how to dilute this liquid permethrin I bought to rid my birds of fleas. I would love to use Sevin, but it's banned in Ontario and unless I have a farm I cannot buy it from the farm store. My other option is DE (which I am considering in their dust bath, and Permethrin (liquid only).

I bought a small bottle of it - it's 250mL and the amount is 12.5g per Liter concentrate.

The label does not recommend use for chickens or hutches, but the farm store guy told me "off the record" that it works well and will be more effective that DE.
The label has instructions for diluting it for plants, shrubs, gardens and dealing with spiders....but of course nothing for poultry.

I have a 1/2 Gallon pump sprayer.

Please help me figure out dilution ratio!! I need to get them sprayed today!

~Quip~
My own 4 ounce (118 ml) bottle of Guardstar40% USA Permethrin says to dilute it with 25 to 50 gallons of water to make a solution suitable for dipping animals. This is 100 to 200 parts water to 1 part 40% Permethrin.
I use this formula for my premises spray and spray it liberally on the pens, and other premises.

Your bottle is about 1/2 of a US pint or 8 fluid ounces mine is 1/4 of a US pint. I think. And the amount of Permethrin in your bottle is about 10% and mine is 40%. Again I think. Mix it according to the instructions for killing flies in a milk parlor or dairy barn and it will be hard for you to go wrong.

When used according to directions 40% Permethrin mixed and used as a drench is safe around and under bee hives. Guardstar's web sight says my 4 oz. bottle treats 2,300 chickens or over 300 cows and that you can mix it with oil to help it stick.

Google your brand's web sight with the word "label" added.

Since Canada is metric a syringe may come in handy to measure small amounts of Permethrin. I do this when mixing fly spray in 1 quart (liter) squirt bottles for use on my horses.

Ok, I eventually asked my husband to try to figure it out when he came home and I finally just did 10mL in 1L of water for our 3 birds and around their pen. Was that okay??

And yes, a syringe worked really well! That is what I used.

~Quip~

My own 4 ounce (118 ml) bottle of Guardstar40% USA Permethrin says to dilute it with 25 to 50 gallons of water to make a solution suitable for dipping animals. This is 100 to 200 parts water to 1 part 40% Permethrin.
I use this formula for my premises spray and spray it liberally on the pens, and other premises.

Your bottle is about 1/2 of a US pint or 8 fluid ounces mine is 1/4 of a US pint. I think. And the amount of Permethrin in your bottle is about 10% and mine is 40%. Again I think. Mix it according to the instructions for killing flies in a milk parlor or dairy barn and it will be hard for you to go wrong.

When used according to directions 40% Permethrin mixed and used as a drench is safe around and under bee hives. Guardstar's web sight says my 4 oz. bottle treats 2,300 chickens or over 300 cows and that you can mix it with oil to help it stick.

Google your brand's web sight with the word "label" added.

Since Canada is metric a syringe may come in handy to measure small amounts of Permethrin. I do this when mixing fly spray in 1 quart (liter) squirt bottles for use on my horses.

It came with a large directions sheep but it has no directions for a space or surface spray or for animals...only veggies, trees shrubs and fruit.....There is directions for a perimeter spray for spiders of 20mL per 1L

I know I'm a bit late on this thread- I've been an independent Pest Control Operator for over 20 years and know a good deal about pesticides.
One major mistake made is the FORMULATION of the chemical that is selected. Liquid concentrates are good but, the mixed solution soaks into the wood very quickly leaving little active ingredient on the surface of the wood. Simple Pyrethrins (all natural) can be used as a spot/individual bird treatment (Just not in the eyes or mouth, of course). Pyrethrins will dissipate quickly and be gone in hours. A permethrin is a synthetic pyrethrin and lasts/kills for a much longer period of time (a month or more is reasonable to expect).
The BEST choice to treat a coop for various insects/parasites would be a Wettable Powder (called a WP). Instead of a liquid concentration, a WP is like talcum powder. When mixed with water, the water will soak into the wood and the active ingredient will remain on the surface where it is needed. One product that has a very low animal toxicity and is very effective on a broad spectrum of insects. mites & other parasites us chicken people deal with is Tempo Ultra WP. The active ingredient is Cyfluthrin- a close relative of permethrins. It is safe and effective in most situations. You can easily review the label: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tempo-ultra-wp-p-236.html.
I have this this product for many years with excellent results. Just clean the coop, remove food and water, chase out the birds and follow the label. Allow about 4 hours for it to completely dry before letting the birds back in. It's more cost effective that liquids, as well.
Good Luck-

Back
Top Bottom