1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't believe it!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lil'chickies, Apr 12, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Ok, so our local feed store had some of those colored Easter chicks and ducks. I was going to go just get a few, maybe 4 or 5. I ended up not making it over there. [​IMG] My hubby had to get a tire repaired there and when he went to pick up the truck the owner was leaving with a boxful of peepers in the bed of his truck. Hubby asked him how much he was selling them for and the owner said $40 for all of them plus a 12" feeder and another chick waterer. He knew how bad I wanted a few so he took the deal. [​IMG] He thinks he was just going to throw them away since he wouldn't really be able to sell them after Easter, and since they are closed on Sunday he didn't want to have to deal with them. [​IMG] So he took the deal. He comes home with 39, yes you read that right, 39 ducklings. [​IMG] Red, orange, green, and blue ones!! [​IMG] What in the world am I going to do with 39 ducklings? I have thought of selling some of them, but then I wonder who would really buy them that would take care of them? I don't think I can do that with a clear conscience. I need some advice. What would you do in this situation? Sell them and pray for a good home, or keep them? I'm a little overwhelmed right now. If I did sell them, I would have to put together some kind of abreviated care sheet. I just don't know what to do.

Here's a pic so you can see what I see....
    [​IMG]

I'm really not joking. Here's one up close, aren't they very bright?
    [​IMG]

This is not counting the 6 ducks I already had. So now I have 45 ducklings in my possession right now. What am I to do? [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Too much!

You're going to have to sell them.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    WOW!!!!! You will have a freezer full of duck pretty soon. Are those white muscovies? THey kind of look like it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    oh wow if i wasnt so far from you i would come get some my kids want some of these really bad and there is no where around here to get any why can't you live closer lol

5. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I'm thinking the same thing. The feed store guy was just going to throw them away. I just hope I can find people to actually take care of them. Should I type up some kind of care sheet?

6. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    If I was going to butcher them, at what age do you do that?

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Unless you have a large pond or acreage selling is probably the most practical. Or how do you feel about roast duck? The care sheet idea makes sense. You might be able to find homes for some of them here if you list them in the "other poultry" category. They certainly are adorable but 45-WOW!

8. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    We actually have 100 acres we are living on now, and another 350 acres we are building on. We plan to move to the other place in a year or two.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Honestly, if it was me I would try to keep them if possible. You just simply can't beat the price. They are most likely Pekins which are a good meat duck. I would pick several for pets and separate them out from the others. I would raise the "meat ducks" as such and butcher at the appropriate age. Duck is AWESOME!!!! Probably my favorite meat. You got a bargain on a freezer full of food for your family!!!! Good luck whatever you decide. [​IMG] I am jsut glad the babies didn't end up trash!!!!

10. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    That a bunch of ducks...and look at those colors....WOW!!!! Pekins are ready in 6 to 10 weeks...I think.

Do you have a pond on your property? That will help so you don't have to house all of them at night.

I wish you the best...I agree with "mamaKate" when she said you may find homes for the ones you don't want on the BYC site....many,many people come to this site.....I wish you the best...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by