I can't believe you DID that and I'm going to SCREAM about it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ND, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    HA! [​IMG]

I have a few pullets FINALLY coming into lay. One, a BO, just laid her first egg three days ago. I knew it was her because I didn't realize anyone was laying when I opened the nest box lid, and boy... did she let me have it. It was the ANGRIEST, most SHOCKED "I can't believe you LOOKED in here" ba-gawking one could imagine.

Today, I went out to check the box several hours ago and noticed her missing. I knew better than to open that darn lid for fear of getting chicken cussed again.
    BUT, hours later, assuming she HAD to be done, I did it again. Opened the lid to find her and another pullet in the box. Got a silent stink eye (all that I've ever gotten before out of ANYONE else) from the one pullet, but that same BO just chicken cussed me out again... for a GOOD long time! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Baw-gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk ba-gawk ba-gawk BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW-GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK, on and on...and on again.

Can't help but giggle...

She's a vocal, opinionated thing...and boy, can she give a good cussin'! I think she's called me brand new creative names I've never been called before!

[​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

She was probably just quoting Alvin & the Chipmunks.

"There's this new thing! It's called KNOCKING!! [​IMG] " [​IMG]

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    you got to love the vocal ones !!!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    There are times that I am glad I don't speak chicken. I'm pretty sure I get cussed out on a regular basis. I just finished cleaning chick tushies and I'm pretty sure the unhappy babies were calling me a big poopy head.

Along those same lines, I think my dogs speak chicken. When the roosters give the hawk call both dogs will stop and look up. Once they visually locate the hawk they both chase it around the yard barking like maniacs. I'm thinking that's one reason I haven't had a hawk attack. Good dogs. Good roosters for training up a couple of attack dogs for their own nefarious purposes. [​IMG]

5. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's hilarious! Are you some place warm that they are still starting to lay? I'm wondering if mine will start this winter, but it's pretty cold and snowy here. They are 27 weeks old, and were moved 3 weeks ago, which I'm sure won't help the cause.

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a BO that is the most vocal of all my group. She goes on and on...I call her my "chatty cathy"...

7. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Sounds like the noise my barred rock makes when she, or any of my other hens, lays an egg. The "egg song" I think it is called but my hens never say it in a mean way. [​IMG] It is usually an announcement that "I laid an egg, yea!" Not a "get the $%*@ out of my box and away from my egg!" lol It seems like a strange time to get broody. Go on YouTube and type in "egg song" or "chicken laying egg" or are good examples. My hens don't always do it after they lay. Sometimes during the process when they get up to get a nibble of food or a drink. My barred rock will see one of the other hens in the box and goes nuts for them. [​IMG] Hope this helps.

8. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    yup, the BOs are the worst! When my Buffy girls need to lay, look out! And if you DARE reach under them to grab an egg you'd better lock your doors and sleep with one eye open. And when they are done laying, by the ruckus they make I expect an egg made of solid gold!
    [​IMG]

9. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Quote:I'm in SE Kansas... it's not arctic, but not exactly warm right now, either. We've had a weird few weeks where it's been pretty darn cold, swinging back to mild and almost warm, to cold, windy and below freezing temps now. To ME it's arctic ENOUGH already!

I'd given up hope for any of the pullets to start laying before spring, but had one black sex-link start about 3 weeks ago, and then this BO just days ago. I have another BO that looks exactly like the new layer, but nothing yet... and I have a GLW and a BR that are very, very ready by appearance and combs/wattles and coloring...but nothing with them either. Another BR doesn't seem nearly as developed in the comb/wattles, and a few others are iffy but still holding out, too. I'd noticed this one BO muttering and chattering a bit in the last week or so...and she was previously nearly silent, so I guess that was a 'sign' for her. I also saw the rooster 'catch her', not 100% willingly, but successfully, in the last week so I hoped that meant soon! I'd seen the same thing with about the same timing with the black sex link.

My mature hens (LF Lt. Brahmas) have all but stopped laying save for the random egg here or there... so I really didn't expect that any of the pullets would actually start! It's about time! They're at LEAST 7 months old (not 100% sure on hatch date...but at LEAST 7 months, if not actually closing in on 9 months...).
    I don't light my coop, and with the time change, it gets light close to an hour before I'm out there to open the coop...so they haven't exactly been helped by that, either.

Her cussing out was exactly like the egg song... but she hadn't laid yet, and only very angrily started it when I had the nerve to open that darn lid! The first time I interrupted her, she actually jumped out of the nest and stormed all over the coop and run telling everyone about my bad deed... once she finally returned to lay the darn egg, the actual egg song wasn't quite as loud or irritated sounding. This time, she didn't bother leaving the nest, no egg laid yet, just loudly objecting and screaming how DARE you!

It'll be fun to see if the other BO can talk smack like that when she starts laying! lol:p

10. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh my gosh, you must have been cracking up! I love that she got up and stormed around the coop. Our buff is the only one laying, and she is vocal normally, but she doesn't sing an egg song - ever! Just gets up and resumes normal life. The only talking I see with egg laying is before when she is uncomfortable (or at least that is how I interpret it). She also doesn't mind if I peek in at her though, which I do frequently. She thinks she is a person and just wants to be in the middle of things all the time. Well I won't give up hope with our wyandottes, they are looking red in the face lately, so I hope they are close! No squatting yet though. I can't wait to see what colors the others lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by