i cant decide...

Sunshine Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Stamford, CT
Hey, I've been wondering. (Well actually my parents and I have been wondering.) I REALLY, REALLY want 3 chicks, but I don't know if I can handle it. I know almost every thing about chickens, but I don't want to distrubt my life too much. I already have a dog, a cat and 3 turtles. Also, I'm only 13...
hmm.png
what do you guys think? Are 3 chickens too much? I don't want it to be pouring rain and having everyone frantic that "Ooh, what if the chickens are getting too wet?" "Are they OK?" "Is the wind too strong?" ETC. This has really been bothering me so please answer.

P.S. I LOVE CHICKENS!!!

Hi Sunshine,

Do you have a coop and a run for them? I dont think it would be very hard to build a coop for only three chickens. Maybe if you build something first, then you would feel more ready.

P.S. I love chickens too!

well, my dad and I are all ready to build one, but my mom isn't sure. Also, every idea my dad has for a coop stink!
idunno.gif
I'm sure we can work something out though!! I'm so excited!!!

Hope you say yes to getting new chicks..on top of a learning experience , you'll also develope relationships with them plus the added responsibility of keeping them. 13 yrs old and asking for more responsibility.....Hurray for you !!!Good luck on your coop and raising your birds.
cool.png

Go for it!!! We are Mom, Dad and 10 year old son with 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 -100 gallon aquararium, 1 pond full of goldfish from 5 generations and 13 chickens. The Beta fish and Hampsters have passed away, but life in the zoo is so much fun.
wee.gif

Quote:
I second that! two dogs, two cats, one fish & now 17 chickens! Next is the horse. but I'm single so they keep me good company.

Last edited:
I don't want it to be pouring rain and having everyone frantic that "Ooh, what if the chickens are getting too wet?" "Are they OK?" "Is the wind too strong?" ETC. This has really been bothering me

With these kinds of issues bothering you, maybe you should consider getting a dog house (easier on your dad), build a run, and get 2-3 adult hens. Chicks are a big responsibility because they are delicate and take more care. What if your electric goes out on a cold rainy night and they have no heat lamp? In my opinion, you should get your feet wet by caring for adults first, the rain and wind don't really bother them. They don't need a heat lamp only a safe dry place to get out of the weather. They'll give you eggs in return. Then, by this time next year you'll know if you're ready for chickkeeping!​

I agree totally
smile.png
i have a son who is almost 3 we have 7 chicks and are slowly adding more 2 dogs a cat and a horse
smile.png
animals are such a joy and good learning experience....and from experience chickens are by far the easiest to care for maybe you would like to join a 4 h group or something??i cant wait until my son is old enough !!! good luck with you new babies if u get some
smile.png

Sunshine Hen,

I also think you guys would be fine, and it would be a great idea to start with adult hens to begin with. How fun would that be??

As for the care required, I am much, much, much LOL older than you. My parents had chickens when I was a kid, and I asked my dad about a week ago why they had decided not to keep them anymore (actually, we had an entire farm). My dad said that the chickens were by far the easiest, and that he really enjoyed them. I've even heard that keeping chickens is comparable (in workload) to having cats! Feed, keep warm and dry, change litter. Plus you get eggs! And.. you'll never find a decapitated rodent on your livingroom floor! <not to knock kitties, since we love them too! Just could do without the 'presents' LOL>

And I was running into something similar with my husband.. I couldn't stand the designs he was coming up with. So... we looked at a ton of pictures on this website for coop designs (also went to the BYC-EZ board and checked them out there) plus did a websearch and looked at a bunch MORE. Finally we came up with a design, bought something similar, and are modifying it to my specs
yippiechickie.gif
. I'm also learning to use power tools!! (sawed my first board with one of those circular saws) This could be really fun for you and your Dad.

Back
Top Bottom