I can't figure out what's wrong with my sweet hen :(

xtinedodge

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
I have an Ameracauana that has always been a little skittish and shy. I adopted her when she was already a couple of years old. She has never been much of a layer and hasn't laid at all in several months. I noticed she was spending a little more time laying down recently - maybe she's a little older than we thought. We were away over the summer more than we have been in years -- we had excellent care but I do think it was stressful to have a break from their regular routine. One of their flock mates died, I adopted two other hens and they weren't getting out quite as much as they're used to. Anyway, Marge will not eat or drink at all. She was my first hen to have Bumblefoot which I believe we successfully treated -- her foot is not red or hot, not swollen, she's not favoring it. She spends a lot of time hiding and and will not lay down either. She just stands in odd spots - like in the corner facing the house or facing into a bush. It's so strange and sad. I'd almost say its neurological. She was getting picked on by the two newer hens and I made arrangements for them to be separate, but my initial thought since the rest all got along fine was that they sensed she is unwell. I have a dewormer coming that I will try tomorrow if she makes it through the night. I have noticed a little bit of a sound when I hold her that I wouldn't call wheezing but maybe a little clicking here and there - she often opens her beak just the slightest bit to breathe which made sense when it was hot but its cool now and she still does it from time to time. Is there anything I could try in a pinch if this is respiratory? No sneezing or other symptoms. Just standing, hiding, not eating or drinking. Any advice appreciated! I know we all come across a million posts and experiences like this with chickens - I just want to be sure I am doing everything I can for her. <3

Maybe it's gape worm, or a sinus or other respiratory issue. Can you gently tug her wattles downward and have a look see inside her mouth?

Look up the gapeworm treatment guide if you see any red, vein like lines in her mouth that do not look like they belong there. Have an assistant hold a flashlight. If you don't see gapeworms, I'd still recommend getting her fecal sample tested at a vet to eliminate that as a possibility. If she has any type of worms at all you want to treat all your birds for worms.

Look her over for mites. Really leave no feather unturned. A bad infestation of mites can suck a birds blood up until they are anaemic and miserable. They can kill a bird. They often prey on the weakest flock member first.

Can you feel her abdomen near her vent? Does this area feel hard, hot, or spongy? Does she appear to have fluid trapped under the skin? My first thought with a hen older than two or three is a reproductive issue.

A hard lump is egg binding.
A spongy abdomen can be other issues.
Fluid trapped under the skin is called ascites.
Have you found any weird, cheesy flesh colored blobs in the nest boxes? This is a lash egg, a sign of an infection. If you find one I suspect this hen is the one that expelled it.

Can you see her vent, is it normal looking or does it appear stretched flat, hanging out a bit, normal, runny poopy discharge, yellow discharge?

Try to get some sugar water in her system. At the very least she could be chronically a bit dehydrated. One tsp regular white sugar per one cup of water and offer her the cup. If she won't drink on her own, do you know how to give fluids orally?

My thoughts and prayers to miss Marge, I'm sorry she's not feeling well and I hope you can find a solution!

Back
Top Bottom