I can't give 'em away, and I sure dont want 'em!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sparkles2307, May 25, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

So we got these "lovely" leghorn roo chicks as packing peanuts... (more like pecking peanuts with their aggression levels!) and I have been trying to give them away... no one wants them... and we are sick of their behavior and just dont WANT them... how old before they are big enough to get SOME meat on them for butcher?

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Can't tell you from experience but have read they have too little meat to bother and use for soup. They are flighty and nervous unless tamed early and frequently. I have a friend with several Leghorn hens (no roos allowed) that are quite friendly--one is white and the others are the brown leghorns.

3. Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny Chillin' With My Peeps

is there anybody you don't like? [​IMG] random roos dumped in your yard at night is the gift that keeps on giving! [​IMG] (kidding [​IMG] )

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    May as well eat them when they crow for the first time. Leghorns do not get very big.

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    chicken stock! some of the best chicken stock in the world, bar none!!!!!

Kill 'em, skin 'em, cut 'em up, and put 'em in a big pot -- use all the bones, all the organs except the intestines. Add herbs and spices, salt to taste, and simmer gently for a day. Then cool and strain out the solids, pick through for any usable meat that you can add back to the stock.

Divide the stock into containers to freeze or can. oooooooh, you've never had anything so good!!!![​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

7. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

WOW, dh was just talking about wanting to make chicken stock the other day.... lol he will be thrilled! And they are already crowing.... have been since they hit 5 weeks old.

8. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Wow. I just signed on to post a question about what to do with a few bantams I'm trying to relocate and no one seems to want and yours is the first post I see. Unlike you, though, I picked these hens out last year, they weren't foisted on me. One is a very NICE but feisty leghorn. The only problem is that she is LOUD when she wants to lay an egg and one of the other hens is anywhere in the vicinity. I don't want to get any of my neighbors annoyed. Guess I could make a very small batch of chicken stock with her. She has a name and jumps into my hand for treats..... This is going to be tough.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    She sounds very sweet! A nice little hen is easier to rehome than a pen full of roosters. As long as her new home isn't in the city, most people wouldn't care if she's noisier than the average hen. I wouldn't. Have you posted your bantams on the forum or on Craigslist? Maybe you can still find her a new home. Maybe ask everyone you talk to, to ask everyone they talk to, also. Sometimes that works, when I'm looking for information on something or trying to find a home for someone.

10. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    I had 3 ~2 1/2 month old birds from tractor supply I needed to get rid of...2 roo's and a probable pullet....posted them for free on craigslist and freecycle and got LOTS of responses. Managed to get them picked up and gone the morning after I posted them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by