I can't help myself I have to post this.

i am one of the eye attack victims...

i didn't LET my chicken perch on the shoulder, she flew up, snuggled down and then i turned to talk to her gently and see which end was facing me to take her off and WHAMMO. she has been handled from her arrival here. she had just been put out with 'the big' chickens and she wanted a little tlc. i was feeding and bent over so she took the opportunity to 'perch' in a safe zone.

birds also feel that being on our shoulder, the highest perch, gives them authority over us. we had pet birds long ago, and that was something they were never allowed to do so for that very reason.

check my thread for the update....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=101910

my husband is going to buy me a pretty pair of contractors glasses to wear also from now on in case of accidents in future.

edited to include the 'details'!
lol.png

Last edited:
This is so true. I also used to have an African Grey Parrot. I think that a lot of us "humanize" our birds & expect them to think as we do. But what we need to do is think as they do if we want to understand them. I also read when I had my Parrot that they see hats & hands as predators. I forgot this & put my Parrot on my shoulder with a hat on. (I rarely wear hats.) She bit my ear so hard, that I thought her entire beak had pierced my ear. Chickens are not that different. Another thing we forget is that birds are flock animals. They see us as being in their flock & anyone who comes over to visit, whether it be a person, a pet or other chickens outside of their existing flock are predators. They will try to warn us & other members of the flock by squawking & possibly biting us to get our attention. If you get a new family member (baby) or try to introduce new pets or chickens keeping this in mind will help you to make the transition go as smoothly as possible.

Oh my... I KNOW it's NOT really funny.... but all of the descriptive speech has me rolling! I certainly hope no one looses an eye... they (chickens) certainly don't know or care to know any better.

Quote:
just safety glasses....the ones i am wearing in this photo are Harley Davison's that my SIL gets free at work. DH is going to get me a pretty pair, prolly to match my pink boots!
wink.png
but these worked nicely, because they are tinted like sunglasses.

12425_chicken_proof.jpg

Back
Top Bottom