I can't make up my mind!!!

hencrazy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
So here's the deal - I am getting BBS JG hatching eggs this spring so they are going to be my main focus this year. My laying flocks I currently have will be butchered this fall since they are slowing down (yes, I know I'm mean but I like soup). I need to replace them but I only plan on getting about 30 hens this time. These will be ordered from Ideal - and before you tell me I should get them from a breeder please read the entire thread.
smile.png

What I need to know is which breeds from the list below would you guys recommend or not recommend? I will for sure be getting 5-6 sex-links, the rest need to lay fairly well, look interesting, and be worth my time butchering need be - basically I want a little variety. Below are breeds I have never had before that I think look interesting.

Partridge chantecler, buff or dark brown leghorns, barred plymouth rock, welsummer, buckeye, blr and dark cornish, delaware, dorking, salmon faverolle, sussex, langshans, orloff, and polish.

I plan on establishing my flock of JG for now. In few years I would like to get some BCM and some Ameraucanas - but one thing at a time. I am also working on my own meat bird project that is going really well so I don't have enough time be breeding and keeping records of anymore birds. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you!
big_smile.png

I forgot to add that I live in Minnesota and do not heat my coops.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you ever had any of those three? I've heard lots of mixed opinions on how chanteclers lay such as their eggs are really small. Do you know if this is true? I think they're really beautiful and the fact that they are very cold hardy is a plus.

Quote:
Have you ever had any of those three? I've heard lots of mixed opinions on how chanteclers lay such as their eggs are really small. Do you know if this is true? I think they're really beautiful and the fact that they are very cold hardy is a plus.

Never have had the Partridge Chanteclers, have had the Delaware years ago, and the Buckeyes I have never had, I have seen them live once and thought they were pretty and have since wanted some.
The Delaware were fairly good layers that I had, they were hatchery chicks when I got them, so I don't know how they compare today. I don know that the hatcheries are selling out of them quick.

Back
Top Bottom