I Cant stand the stink and am ready to give up!

'Course I could just invite you to our house where we are surrounded by commercial chicken houses on all sides. After about half a day you'll think your little chickies smell like roses.

If you can find a starter formula that is grain-based rather than porcine (pork) or *animal protein*, you'll notice a difference within a few days

Except I see repeatedly from those who seem most knowledgeable and on websites that chickens do best with animal proteins not just plant based foods. They are omnivores not vegetarians. Also some plants can cause the same problem anyway. I tried feeding my chicks herbs and had smelly droppings. It still didn't smell after the droppings dried. Only the fresh ones. It could be certain brands of food instead of all foods with animal protein. I've always given mine starter that was animal protein based and actually supplement quail and give chicks treats of Evo red meat bites for dogs which is all animal meat with no grains without noticing any increase in smell.​

My chicks are 2 weeks old today and I just changed the 11 day old pine shavings yesterday, just because a kid looking at the chicks knocked over the waterer and the shavings got soaked. I have feed my chicks chick starter from the co-op from day one and there is no smell when you walk in my house.

Has anyone tried sprinkling baking soda in with the bedding?
We have a large parrot whose cage I change three times a week -- baking soda seems to keep all odors down --
Have never tried it with chickens, tho --

Quote:
No I haven't ever tried baking soda. I use the DE. Helps dry the poo up faster so that keeps the smell down. Also, I was out of DE for about a week, until today. The flies were much much worse without it.

Quote:
Thats what I have! Too neat to use, but they grow up brats, cant handle them til they're older, then I spoil them!! I'm gonna try the stall pellets around the outside of the brooder though, that sounds neat.......I use pine shavings in an outbuilding for now...smell isnt an issue, but I like the idea of it being easier to clean?

For me, Pine shavings are the best for the odor in an indoor brooder set up.

Tina/tfpets

If you decide to go with an outside brooder, remember that heat isn't the only issue. Tiny chicks are extra-vulnerable to predators.

Back
Top Bottom