I can't take it anymore!!! UPDATE!

Quote:
I tried to take a picture of my two girls together so it would be easy to compare combs. (Yeah, right. That's going to happen!) They are both the same age (about 18 Weeks or so) and are the exact same age as JennsPeeps girls. (We went together to pick them out at the feed store.)

Here's Marianne, the Barred Rock

12447_downsized_1004081657.jpg

And here's Elinor, the Black Sex-Link. (Her comb is actually a deeper red then is shown in the pic)

12447_downsized_1004081656.jpg

I'm hoping for any day now!!!
fl.gif

Okay, I have a funny story for you impatient people. I cheated and got two older pullets ("ready to lay") when my babies turned out to be roos. One of the pullets was quite a bully so I ended up taking her back. I mentioned to the owner when I dropped her off that my son was very impatient about waiting for eggs from the pullets. She handed me two warm eggs fresh from the coop and told me to put them in my coop for him. When I got home he ran to the truck and looked in the cat carrier, where I had placed the two eggs. I had to tell him that the pullet had laid not one, but two! eggs while on the way:eek:. (Thinking--this won't fly! I've told him over and over they only lay one egg a day, have to feel at home, blah, blah blah). He was eggstatic! And a little upset that I had taken a "super layer" back home. He must have looked in the coop five times a day after that--fortunately the other pullet started to lay fairly quickly. He still looks quite often as he is convinced that I was wrong and a chicken can lay two eggs in one day! Then there is the neighbor who stuck an egg-shaped rock in the coop.......

My 9 girls are 21 weeks and SOMEone laid an egg! How do I ever figure out who? I have 2 Brown Leghorns, 2 white Leghorns, 1 Barred Rock and 3 RIR...

Newbie here and have no clue what the previous discussion regarding red combs means...? someone care to explain and add other tidbits that I should be looking for.

A dear friend of mine does the rummage/antique sale thing constantly and brought an old ceramic doorknob to me when he found it at a sale. I put it in one of the nests and it took less than a week for my 1st little tan egg to show up! That was Thursday and I got another one today - same size but a tad different in color. Does that mean it is a different hen or do their eggs change colors?

My pullet must be on strike too. I have done everthing but lay an egg for her to show her how! I am going to give her to the end of the month before I take her to a chicken whisperer to figure out the protest...
sad.png

Thanks for the pix of the "red" - mine don't look as red as the red in your pix - I guess I still need to wait some more - reminds me of when I had my first child and the doctor told me "any day now" at one visit and TWO WEEKS later he showed up!!

I didnt think ours would ever lay... then once they did it was like the flood gates opened. We are now getting almost a dozen eggs a day. Thats with 18 girls! Theyare now almost 7 months old and have been laying really good for at least a month and a half.

~Tiff~

Mine were hatched out 19 May, so @ 21 weeks.

They have not laid any yet. After all this time, I am starting to. go. nuts.

We have a few really red combs and wattles, and a few less so. Also those same red wattled hens are going down for the rooster (although squawk about it)....

Back
Top Bottom