I can't wait!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    AAH!! My pullet (SOON to be hen) is gonna lay an egg soon!! She is 20 weeks! Any signs as to when she is gonna lay her first egg? Im SO anxious!! ^_^

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    We knew something was up when they started disappearing off for maybe half an hour every morning [​IMG]
    We look under a bush: and voila, there's maybe.. six or seven eggs there!

Apart from that we didn't really get any signs, so just watch them, she'll start any time soon [​IMG]

And congrats for when you do get that egg. [​IMG]

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My BR pullet got very agitated and started "growling." My EE pullet became inactive, and stood around stiff as a board, not a peep out of her. So watch for a change in normal behavior. I did not see squatting. In not quite a first week of egg laying from these two I have gotten 5 lovely brown eggs and 1 green one, plus the first EE egg was broken and eaten, which is apparently not that uncommon for young pullets. They were not on layer rations yet so likely shell was weak and she did not lay in nest box. I switched to layer and added calcium source. For sure, these two did not seem to know what was going on with the first egg or what to do but now they are in the groove and both laying in box.

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    a good way to tell when they're about to start laying is that whenever you go to pick them up or pet them they will squat for you

5. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I can't wait myself I have two BCM,s that are 20 weeks

6. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Quote:I've yet to have any of my laying hens squat before they started laying. They still don't like to be petted much. I have other pullets that have recently become very friendly and like to perch on me and be petted, but they're not laying anything.

7. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    She does squat whenever I pet her. Then again....She's always done that!

8. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    The hens have their combs and wattles turn red sometime around when they begin to lay.

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Good info! [​IMG]

10. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Both of my white leghorns are sqauting, and red combs and wattles. Today the youngest of the two laid her first egg. The other is squatting now alot! So any day I should have a white egg to add to my light brown, and light pink!!!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by