I caught a raccoon!! Now what???

Barrel of water works too. Dump the whole cage in and walk away for 10 minutes. That's what I do with smaller animals, might take a big barrel for a large coon tho. Safer than shooting them and easier on the trap too. No easy solutions.

I am sorry that I responded to your comments.....I sincerely thought that you had a problem. .....I was only offering a solution to what I thought was a real dilemma for you....Turns out to be just a ridiculous(that word again), confused , and angry diatribe....I certainly wasn't trying to start an argument with a stranger!

There's nothing wrong with being concerned with it's suffering before you humanely kill it. As a chicken owner you will do what you must to protect your flock. The raccoon, though pesky and dangerous to your hens, is also a creature. A living, breathing creature doing what it must to survive. Same as you. I find the kind of people who don't concern themselves with cruelty to animals are just as unconcerned about cruelty to humans. IMO. You shouldn't feel wrong for caring that it was freezing

That you were concerned and cared at all that it could be suffering needlessly shows that you are a decent person. I guess the only advice I have is that next time do what you can to dispatch it quickly or don't set traps and just attempt to provide extra protection to the coop.

I wonder if that would work!
I haven't caught another one yet, do they only come out before a storm? Lol! I have my trap set! Might be time to move it. My new game cam comes today so ill be anxious to see if I get any pics. I also need to catch a few foxes but I don't think I'm going to be so lucky. After this experience, I am definitely NOT for relocating these things! Just passing your problems on to someone else that didn't ask for them! Ill be keeping my trap set from now on.

Barrel of water works too. Dump the whole cage in and walk away for 10 minutes. That's what I do with smaller animals, might take a big barrel for a large coon tho. Safer than shooting them and easier on the trap too. No easy solutions.

That is the most deplorable thing I have ever heard. At least when you shoot them they die fast, but drowning them? Seriously? Do you know how horrible that is?

So you're too stupid to predator proof your coop and then you drown animals that take advantage of your low IQ.

Don't worry, you'll never be able to kill all the raccoons. I'm sure more will come, and meanwhile you'll still have a compromised coop. Makes sense... Don't fix the problem, just deal with the consequences... Stupid.

I would NOT relocate it. Mammals are very good at returning to a place where they once discovered a possible food source. Releasing it a few miles down the road will not do you any good. It's a very high chance that same one will be back, and if not, it's become someone else's problem. Not to mention spread of diseases and capture and release laws that may be in your area.

I'm glad you humanely killed it. The best option with a captured raccoon is killing it. They are pests and wouldn't hesitate to kill your chickens. Raccoons don't survive long around my house..

Back
Top Bottom