I challenge you....cook with BYC for a week

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ams3651, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im going shopping tomorrow and tonight Im getting recipes from this forum for the next week. Any one else up for it? It would be nice to hear what you tried and even better if we saved $.

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I don't know if this is on the forum or not but we are having tuna salad sandwiches on homemade bread for supper tonight.

8 eggs..... I have no idea what they cost

1 homemade dill pickle chopped into relish ...I have no idea the cost

1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt ?$

1/4 cup homemade mayo ?$

2 cans of tuna at $0.58 a can

A few chips out of a bag of WalMart potato chips $2.00 a bag.

A couple of glasses of ice tea

What would your guess be?

3. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Well, simple scrambled eggs simply because your saving money thanks to your wonderful chickens. [​IMG]

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    We had B-B-Q beef sandwiches. I bought a large roast and put int he crock pot overnight. Drained it, then added my favorite sauce. I used the left over buns we had from three days ago when my husband grilled burgers. I say we had because my hubby works evenings and I fix our main meal for lunch. I also put the left overs in a saved butter bowel in the freezer for supper later. Saves me time and money.

Another way I save money on food is coupons, coupons, coupons. We have begun to get very few in the newspaper so I made a list of all of the products I use, from canned foods to bread and cleaning products. I go to each web site for the products and ask for coupons. I get tons in the mail every month. Sometimes they send coupons for free products. I do this about once a month. It works great. I have a baby so I also do diaper and baby formula and baby food coupons. I have saved as much as $50 in one visit to the local Wal-Mart. I try to find things on sale and use the coupons even if I do not need it to save me money in the long run, providing it wil not go bad.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    maybe this can be ongoing. I can't do it this week because we are heading to NYC for a conference so we will be eating cheap for a long time after we get back. That venison, fish and wild boar will be a staple for a while

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We have DirecTV so we get news from the city (a 1-1/2 hour drive) and they did a piece on a way to save money on your groceries....price matching. Take all your ads with you to WalMart and they will match the competitor’s sale price so you can get all the sales without running all over town.

That’s a great idea and I would love to do it....only problem is that the Super WalMart is the only store within a 30-minute drive of us. That’s so not fair.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Many of the things I cook end up on BYC in the form of a recipe. [​IMG]

Tonight we are having BBQ chicken that I cooked extra on the grill from the 4th and put away for a quick supper this week.

8. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i had just decided to try several recipes off here for a week and wondered if I could save money and try some yummy new food. If anyone has tried recipes from here Id love to hear from you.

9. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:your recipes always sound yummy...

10. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Quote:I'm wondering which companies you've had luck getting coupons from in the mail? I've tried several of the companies that we buy a lot of stuff from with no luck. Thanks for any help you can give me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by