I choose a rooster to give a rose to, who did you chose to give your rose to? (Rooster)

I would have to say after 30 some roosters that I have kept, Jack has been my favorite. He was from a hatch that I was hatching for a farmer that owns the land I hunt on. He only wanted hens so I said I would find a place for the roosters. So they grew up and I gave him the hens out of the batch and kept the roosters to eat. At that time I already had one rooster, Buddy, but he was getting old so I knew I would pick one of these roosters to keep.
I didn't hurry into choosing who I would keep. This was before my hatch of the year took place... where I got the rest of my roosters.
Jack is my Black Australorp hen, Cookie's son, with Buddy the Rhode Island Red being his dad of course. I don't have any pictures of him.... I'll have to change that.
He gets my rose... for sure! ❤🌹 He loves cuddles and follows me EVERYWHERE for treats! He stays in my 2 acre yard and doesn't go wandering onto the neighbors field.

Last edited:
I have several sweetheart Roos with wonderful personalities, it is not easy to choose just 1. But I guess Baby Roo is the original sweetheart. I rescued him from a place he was being chased & pecked badly as a young cockerel. I went there to initially just get a few Ameraucana hens & ended up rescuing 12, with a sweet baby rooster half plucked bald being one of them. He was so traumatized, after they chased & caught him with a net, I held him as he shivered. I gently pet him & said, you poor boy, I will love you & take care of you. He stayed nestled on my lap the entire drive home. He was an absolute sweetie when I gently gave him a warm shampoo bath & he loved the warm hair dryer on low. He preened & actually gave me gentle peck kisses as I fluffed his feathers, then sat down on my lap and made a purr & little yip sound. He still makes those cute sounds today when he sits on my lap. I do believe he was so grateful to be away from that place (way too many chickens chasing & pecking him), he knows I rescued him.

Baby Roo, the sweetest boy ever, knows his name & loves to be hugged. When I say Good Morning Baby Roo, he jumps up on top of the gazebo & gives a good morning crow, then looks at me, waiting for me to say he is such a good boy! He will stand there looking at me & waiting for those words before he gets down for some pets. Love this sweet boy so much!
View attachment 3765690
View attachment 3765691
He is so gentle with hens & with raising other youngsters, including young roosters! He is truly an amazing boy. ❤️
View attachment 3765708View attachment 3765709View attachment 3765710
Im in love and shed wayyy too many tears reading this wonderful story. Thank you for being you Liz 🐓❤️

2947559B-6F5D-4399-B4AD-B1368DF38381.jpeg
Boy you sure look good in the sunset light! 198596CE-64EA-420C-A50A-04D0C53804A8.jpeg
He’s a little cocky but if looks could kill…
643B2278-3907-43E5-86B9-B1888BB2DE74.jpeg
You have that light in your eyes, that burning ring of fire. CCD9EBFF-4E1B-439C-802F-C5750B01DF59.jpeg
I never knew that a modified pea comb could look so beautiful. All of the girls just stop and stare, even the guineas are in love. ‘What do you think, you’re Elvis or something?’ I named him Casanova for a reason!

View attachment 3810123
Boy you sure look good in the sunset light!View attachment 3810122
View attachment 3810121
You have that light in your eyes, that burning ring of fire. View attachment 3810124
I never knew that a modified pea comb could look so beautiful. All of the girls just stop and stare, even the guineas are in love. ‘What do you think, you’re Elvis or something?’ I named him Casanova for a reason!
Gorgeous! ❤

View attachment 3810123
Boy you sure look good in the sunset light!View attachment 3810122
View attachment 3810121
You have that light in your eyes, that burning ring of fire. View attachment 3810124
:loveI swear his pupils dilated when i looked into the ring of fire. I love your story about Casanova. Lol, All the girls stop and stare :lau

I have several (15? 20?) Currently that are currently permanent residents here. My birds have gotten to the point where an aggressive male is an oddity, especially my Phoenix. I have one who let's me snag and toy with almost every time, and the rest are 99.99% docile with my hands, face and feet which is really all I can ask for

Back
Top Bottom