I could just stand here and watch them all day...

I don't think I expected to be quite this obsessed with my first chicks! The coop finally got finished earlier this week (it has electricity - yay!), so they went out at two weeks old with their heating plate. I used the heat lamp for the first two nights because it was in the low 50s (maybe overkill, but they had plenty of room to get away from it if they wanted), but it's been off since then, and I think they won't need it anymore even if it does get a little chilly again.

The coop is 8x8, with two 8 foot long 2x4s for roosting eventually (one tiny brave baby got all the way up there this morning!), and a 2 foot wide ladder/perch for learning to get up there, or for older ladies eventually. I've been adding things for them to play and climb and roost on, and I seriously waste waaaay too much time just hanging out watching them be hilarious. Does this fascination fade? Do you eventually go back to getting things done instead of hanging out with your chicks? ;)
I don't think it will ever end for me either. I have had my chickens for two years and added new chicks this year. I'm always outside watching or in coop and run with them.

I don't think I expected to be quite this obsessed with my first chicks! The coop finally got finished earlier this week (it has electricity - yay!), so they went out at two weeks old with their heating plate. I used the heat lamp for the first two nights because it was in the low 50s (maybe overkill, but they had plenty of room to get away from it if they wanted), but it's been off since then, and I think they won't need it anymore even if it does get a little chilly again.

The coop is 8x8, with two 8 foot long 2x4s for roosting eventually (one tiny brave baby got all the way up there this morning!), and a 2 foot wide ladder/perch for learning to get up there, or for older ladies eventually. I've been adding things for them to play and climb and roost on, and I seriously waste waaaay too much time just hanging out watching them be hilarious. Does this fascination fade? Do you eventually go back to getting things done instead of hanging out with your chicks? ;)
Nope, you will just hang out and watch them as much as you can:) I think of it as a form of self care/chicken meditation:)

No MamaBear, you never get tired of watching your babies being themselves. They are so entertaining and a joy to watch. Keeping chickens is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom