I definitely want to do turkeys next year!!!!

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
But I am intimidated by the long time required to raise them properly. The thing is, if I'm doing the math right, I've got to order them before spring even arrives! Heritage birds take up to 8 months to grow, I think? So that's March hatch/order date at the latest for heritage birds.

I'm chronically indecisive. I know I want midget whites for my own use and something larger for family gatherings. I know I DON'T need a bird so large it won't fit into the oven whole! Beyond that, I dunno I dunno I dunno...

Why are you intimidated? They are just like breeding and raising chickens only bigger. We raise a few breeds and the Midget is by far our favorite table bird. Today we had a Bourbon Red, we didn't weight it but I would guess it was in the low 20 pound range.

We are in Eastern North Carolina and our Midgets and Beltsvilles are starting to mate an lay eggs. We have two auctions going on ebay now for smaller numbers of eggs. They way they are going we should be able to do a dozen plus in the near future.

The best thing about having heritage turkeys is you can raise them for your needs, hatch when you want and raise to the age you like. We like ours older in the 10 to 12 month range as they are more filled out.

Steve in NC

I would also like to raise some turkeys. I have the perfect pen for them. It is very large but it is not covered and I read that they can fly. We have lots of predators around here and I would not want them getting out. So I am not sure what to do. But if I get up the courage, I plan to order eggs as soon as possible.

Quote:
Clip a wing and they will stay put. Once the toms get some weight on them they can't get very far off the ground anyway.

Steve in NC

Quote:
You clip the flight feathers. when you extend the wing they will be the long feathers on the last 1/3 of the wing towards the tip. Cut about 3/4 of the feather off, don't cut to close of the feather root will bleed.

Feathers are like hair the is no nerves in them so no pain.

Clipping one wing throws them off balance.

Steve in NC

Last edited:
Nothing to be intimidated by.

28 weeks or sooner and they are ready. As they grown they do eat more and more. You have to be commited to paying the feed bill for high protein feeds. Also you have to feed them to benefit your table and not to sustain an old age - which are 2 dfferent ways of thinking and feeding.

This year we cooked a blue slate Jake that was butchered early at 22 weeks, It was 15 lbs dressed out. The breast was a tad small but we only had 4 to feed.

This is the first year we actually raised them our selves. We did have some problems staring out with the Great Whites and BB Bronze. But after reading this forum it helped a lot.

We order ours so they arrive in mid April, which was ok except we had to put the brooders in a corner of the office. We also butchered a few weeks earily.

Raising them you do have to follow everyone's advice to the letter. You can adapt the methods to fit your needs and still raise a good turkey for the table.

We did ended up keep two Red Bourbons.

Tom

Our Broad Breasted white toms are dressing out at 12 pounds now,
at around 10 weeks. They have been on 26% protein and I am now
dropping them to a 21% Nutrena. We are going to have some great
winter meals or new pets.

im getting turkeys this year too,, a few to keep as breeders,, the rest for the table and to sell,,,, i cant wait !!!
hey all you turkey people,,, dont turkeys have a "breeding season"? ,, i saw some royal palm eggs on ebay,, and thought they mus be duds cause it aint breeding season now,,,, or is it???,,, man more birds geesh
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom