I did a terrible thing....

MiniBeesKnees

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Walkertown, North Carolina
I have my breeds separated to get fertile purebred eggs and chicks. They are in separate runs with food, water, and a nesting box in each one. They are all big enough to follow the rule of ten square feet for each bird...actually they are bigger than that, and my birds are all Bantys. There is a roost in each one also.

Some of them are in the pens overnight...actually most of them...except my expensive ones. After they calm down in the evening I take them out of the pens, and put them in the coop. This is what caused my terrible thing...

So the Seabright trio go calmly to the coop, and the two new girls from my new trio of OE go calmly to the coop, but that roo takes off. By then it is practically dark and he is in a panic. Normally he lets me just pick him up, that trio is very tame. I finally chase him down where he is huddling in the underbrush in the woods bordering my land and make a grab for him. Then the terrible thing happened...

I grabbed him by the tail instead of the legs and HIS WHOLE TAIL CAME OFF IN MY HAND!! Honestly, he just pulled away and not very hard at that. He is about 6 months old and very small...not much bigger than a pigeon, smaller than the Seabrights are. So now the dude has one single tail feather.

I expect eventually he is going to grow them in again...does anyone know how long that will take? Except for that one feather...he looks like a breed without a tail....he is pitiful but seems to have forgiven me. Me, I'm going to buy a net.
hit.gif

I just thought of something else...he will probably have a hard time breeding too....seems to me the tail is used for balance among other things. I've probably ruined him....

Has anyone had a similar thing happen?

I'm sorry but isn't it a little funny? If not... give it a few days.
lol.png

He was probably starting to molt or something. It will grow back, no worries. Just give him a few treats.

Back
Top Bottom