I did a thing..........

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Today I rescued this girlie from a pretty bad situation! Bought for 3 children, then forgotten about... Living outdoors in a non predator or weather proof guinea pig cage. No hay. Only fed muesli, no pellets or healthy veg. Upon arrival she didnt have any food, no hay even, or water which was concerning. Not spayed, not vaccinated ever... Her name was "Pinky". She didnt have a single toy or anything to chew on or entertain herself with. She had one hide (a piece of wood on a couple bricks) which was so small that she couldnt really fit under it.
She looked miserable, so I went and got her, when the guy tried to catch her, he got bit several times drawing blood, which is okay, I was warned she is a bit wild. I'm going to be her foster home, I'll get her spayed, vaccinated and ensure shes healthy. Get her on a good diet, litter trained, and used to people, and then adopt her out to a nice home where she wont have to be caged, as a house bunny. It'll take some time but I'm up for the challenge.
As soon as I got her home, I let her out and she sat by my side quietly. She also hopped across my feet and lap. Not aggressive at all, just scared, and perhaps territorial.

I'm sure lots of y'all keep bunnies as livestock, but I'm sure we can all agree that this is a great outcome for this sweet girl.

Attachments

• IMG-20220814-WA0021.jpeg
    IMG-20220814-WA0021.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Aww bless her well done u sure u won't end up keeping her ? Pretty sure the way u talk /type u English as well rite chick ? Xx
its possible, but I cant keep her as a house bunny right now, so my circumstances would have to change for me to keep her long term- I'll see how it goes finding her a home after she's done with vet appointments 😁 It would be nice for her to go live with a neutered buck, as an indoor pet, but we'll see how it goes

Just a comment. The rabbit may be happier and better off without a buddy. Rabbits are not nearly as social as people think they are, and as Bunnylady put it so eloquently, rabbits can get along just fine with each other. Until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.

Just a comment. The rabbit may be happier and better off without a buddy. Rabbits are not nearly as social as people think they are, and as Bunnylady put it so eloquently, rabbits can get along just fine with each other. Until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.
Yeah cassies right I work for a boarding place when people go on holiday and we look after their animals rabbits chickens rats tortoises etc and the amount of rabbits that are together at home.but have to be in separate hutches is very high xx

it depends, most bunnies are capable of being social, but it takes neutering and spaying and properly bonding them together. I have had a bunny alone, and Ive had bunnies together- the pair, male and female, were utterly inseparable. Constantly grooming eachother, and following eachother. The buck was a dwarf rabbit, and the doe was a lionhead, so he was her little boyfriend and he protected her. It was so sweet. The trouble is when a rabbit, or both rabbits, are very territorial, perhaps this is due to being confined to a small space and becoming defensive of it, perhaps its due to never being around other bunnies. Sometimes they arent correctly bonded, too. My past bunnies were bonded by a professional, with an amazing set up and gradual introduction. Does with bucks works best imo, girls can be okay sometimes, bucks dont work so well.

So it depends on the individual- some bunnies will struggle too much to accept a partner, but as a species bunnies are absolutely social animals and can thrive on compassionship! Naturally rabbits are not solitary animals, and most behaviours are learned. Most of which, can be unlearned.

it depends, most bunnies are capable of being social, but it takes neutering and spaying and properly bonding them together. I have had a bunny alone, and Ive had bunnies together- the pair, male and female, were utterly inseparable. Constantly grooming eachother, and following eachother. The buck was a dwarf rabbit, and the doe was a lionhead, so he was her little boyfriend and he protected her. It was so sweet. The trouble is when a rabbit, or both rabbits, are very territorial, perhaps this is due to being confined to a small space and becoming defensive of it, perhaps its due to never being around other bunnies. Sometimes they arent correctly bonded, too. My past bunnies were bonded by a professional, with an amazing set up and gradual introduction. Does with bucks works best imo, girls can be okay sometimes, bucks dont work so well.

So it depends on the individual- some bunnies will struggle too much to accept a partner, but as a species bunnies are absolutely social animals and can thrive on compassionship! Naturally rabbits are not solitary animals, and most behaviours are learned. Most of which, can be unlearned.
Well hope it goes well I'm sure with ur experience it will :) keep updated xx

Yeah cassies right I work for a boarding place when people go on holiday and we look after their animals rabbits chickens rats tortoises etc and the amount of rabbits that are together at home.but have to be in separate hutches is very high xx
Most of those bunnies are likely uncastrated pairs, or not properly bonded together. My lionhead doe was originally paired with my lop, and the lop turned out to dislike her, once they got older. Once spayed, their feelings didnt change so I got my lionhead a buck, got him fixed, and they became inseparable. It just goes to show that the match really matters, as well as bonding technique.
For this rabbit, I'm not sure she'll do well with a friend, as she is displaying some territorial behaviour, but that said, I'll be soon spaying her and seeing how she does after that. If she mellows at all and I'm able to train her a little, I may hope for a friend. But I will only rehome to someone with knowledge on this and would take her back if it didnt work out. If her behaviour doesnt change much, I may be more okay about her being a lone indoor bunny.

The trouble is, when a rabbit decides it is sick of its pen mate, there may be little or no warning ahead of time. Your first sign of trouble may be a rabbit enclosure that looks like a bloody scene from CSI. Just something to be aware of.

The trouble is, when a rabbit decides it is sick of its pen mate, there may be little or no warning ahead of time. Your first sign of trouble may be a rabbit enclosure that looks like a bloody scene from CSI. Just something to be aware of.
If they have the right set up and have been properly bonded, they should be absolutely fine- its possible they could fall out if something is off, but personally I think the rare risk is worth it, as when you find a good match, it can really enrich their lives in a way that no person can

Back
Top Bottom