I did everything wrong...and still hatched!

DonkeysandDucks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
N.W. Louisiana
big_smile.png

Several weeks ago, after coyotes killed several of my chickens I decided to try my hand at incubating some eggs. I had an old incubator in my classroom that I'd never used. I bought an automatic turner and a thermometer/barometer thingy. For 5 days I tried to get a constant temperature. NOPE! But I got CLOSE! I put in 15 of my eggs and 20 from a friend. Could I maintain a constant temp? NOPE...somedays it was 95, some days it was 105. Could I maintain any sort of humidity? NOPE...it averaged 40 percent. I added water cups, I opened the lid too many times, just to have a little peek... On the 18th day, I snatched the top off, zoomed the eggs out, jerked the auto turner out and the wire screen in, and zoomed the eggs back in. On the morning of day 21, THERE WAS A CHICK!!! Then there were 4...then 11...then 19! It was like that old Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles". I finally ended up with 21 chicks!

I never dreamed, after all my mistakes, that any would hatch. I was hopeful that I might get 3 or 4 just for the experience of hatching. Thank God that Mother Nature is smarter than we are!

I love this chicken thing!!!

Congratulations! You never know till you try!
woot.gif

Maybe I'll luck up like that. I have three Ameraucana eggs that I was concerned wouldn't fit with the others under the broody, so I '''rigged" a makeshift incubator. I've had temperature fluctuations much like what you described, and am looking at sometime the first of the week for time for them to hatch. Starting to increase humidity now.

Let's see...there are Seramas, Cochins, and Austrolorps, possibly a Bearded Booted Belgium bantam (say that fast after a glass or two of wine...)

I've separated the little bitty guys from the bigger Austros. I put the Austros in with 6 other chicks that I bought to raise in my classroom. Those guys are outside as of today, snugged up in their chicken tractor. The little guys are still under a light on the back porch.

I have had the same stuff goin on. I candled the first time and saw 10 embryos. All the other ones are fertile but cant tell too much yet its only day 4. Thanks for giving me hope too!

Congrats on the hatch!
I did everything right with my last batch, I did everything but sit on them myself......no luck at all. Temps perfect, humidity correct, nothing! Seems like everyone can hatch Seramas but me.
sad.png

I will try just one more time with these, the other hatches (cochins, jungle fowl, silkies) have all been great.

Very Good DonkeyDuck. You know, ever since I've been using a bator instead of a toaster oven, my temps have never really stayed regulated. I don't know why. Every house is different, the weather is different. I think as long as you don't "Cook" them there is a chance of hatching them. I wouldn't let it get over 104 for very long. But if you are opening the bator, it shouldn't. Everyone has their own methods and I say "whatever works". I think there are a lot of factors involved. So congratulations, YOU DID IT! So when does the next batch go in.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom