I did it, I hatched quail!

Is it the manna pro gamebird starter or regular feed? If it's the starter, thats what I had my chicks on and they all turned out healthy. Congrats on the babies! <3

Yep, it’s the starter! Oh, fantastic, I’m so glad to hear it! And thank you so much.

So far only 7 have hatched. I know they hatched on day 15 or 16 and the other 14 still have some time, but I can’t help but be worried and disappointed.

Yep, it’s the starter! Oh, fantastic, I’m so glad to hear it! And thank you so much.

So far only 7 have hatched. I know they hatched on day 15 or 16 and the other 14 still have some time, but I can’t help but be worried and disappointed.
Oh my gosh, I would have counted 7 as AWESOME. My first hatch had 20 something eggs and only THREE hatched and survived 🤪 you are doing great I would say for a new Hatcher! And if you are still worried about protien you can always grind in mealworms

Oh my gosh, I would have counted 7 as AWESOME. My first hatch had 20 something eggs and only THREE hatched and survived 🤪 you are doing great I would say for a new Hatcher! And if you are still worried about protien you can always grind in mealworms

Really?? I’m glad to hear that I did well, but the only problem is, I don’t know what I did wrong! Perhaps because I didn’t bother to candle them at any point, but in theory if they’re all “fertile”, I should still get a higher hatch rate whether I candle them or not, right?
I’m sure I just need more patience, but after seeing 7 hatch one after another, I’m thinking the others won’t hatch! Today is day 18, the official “hatch day”, and no other have hatched.
Maybe it’s because the hatched chicks kept bowling over the other eggs? I read that that’s ok if they do that..
Great advice though, thank you!

Really?? I’m glad to hear that I did well, but the only problem is, I don’t know what I did wrong! Perhaps because I didn’t bother to candle them at any point, but in theory if they’re all “fertile”, I should still get a higher hatch rate whether I candle them or not, right?
I’m sure I just need more patience, but after seeing 7 hatch one after another, I’m thinking the others won’t hatch! Today is day 18, the official “hatch day”, and no other have hatched.
Maybe it’s because the hatched chicks kept bowling over the other eggs? I read that that’s ok if they do that..
Great advice though, thank you!
No problem! What hatchery did you get the eggs from? And are they cortunix or bobwhites? Just curious!

No problem! What hatchery did you get the eggs from? And are they cortunix or bobwhites? Just curious!

I got them from WoodBottom quail farms. They were the only ones who would ship them sooner than 3 weeks and I couldn’t get James Marie to email me back, so I went with them. I’ve never heard anyone speak of them before, so I’m hoping they’re a good hatchery. Their communication was good and they shipped a few days after I bought them, even though the projected ship date was 1 week+.

They’re coturnix, but I think the hatchery may sell Bobwhites too.

Here’s their link in case you’re interested or if anyone stumbling on this thread in the future is interested: http://woodbottomquail.com/

I got them from WoodBottom quail farms. They were the only ones who would ship them sooner than 3 weeks and I couldn’t get James Marie to email me back, so I went with them. I’ve never heard anyone speak of them before, so I’m hoping they’re a good hatchery. Their communication was good and they shipped a few days after I bought them, even though the projected ship date was 1 week+.

They’re coturnix, but I think the hatchery may sell Bobwhites too.

Here’s their link in case you’re interested or if anyone stumbling on this thread in the future is interested: http://woodbottomquail.com/
A lot of things can happen in shipping, so I believe the general consensus is aim for a 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs. But you still have plenty of time for more to hatch.

Thank you so much. You guys are awesome to help me not worry so much. Still nothing, and today is the official “hatch day”.
Don't worry! Most of my chicks were late/early. Its always hard to get chicks to hatch "officially"-they tend to come out when they want :p. You'll get better at it the more you hatch! Put some pic up of the chicks once they're good!

Don't worry! Most of my chicks were late/early. Its always hard to get chicks to hatch "officially"-they tend to come out when they want :p. You'll get better at it the more you hatch! Put some pic up of the chicks once they're good!

Did you ever have chicks come both early and late (in the same batch), but none on time? Hopefully that makes sense:fl what I mean is, in the same batch, did you have quail hatch on both day 15 and day 21, but not day 18? For an example.
Here’s a (bad) picture of them in the incubator!

Attachments

• 738F8EF7-77ED-4ED0-8536-C0BA377C3A57.jpeg
    738F8EF7-77ED-4ED0-8536-C0BA377C3A57.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom