I Did It, I Switched to Sand!

BlueCamas

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
I finally got fed up with pine shavings; they get filthy fast, they get tracked everywhere, and a bunch gets wasted every time I try to clean the coop.
So...
I took a wheel-barrow, a shovel, a few hours, and Ta-dah!
104774_imgp1747.jpg

104774_imgp1748.jpg

104774_imgp1749.jpg

104774_imgp1750.jpg

It still has to dry out, but I think it will be a lot easier to clean. The chickens were standing on their tip-toes and it was as if they were saying "Seriously? What the heck is this wet, cold, rainy stuff? You expect us to walk on this?" Haha, they'll get used to it
lol.png

haha how deep did you do the sand? It doesn't look like play sand...I am considering sand for my new coop. Let us know how it works for you!

It's not really even but I think it's 1 1/2 inches give or take in some places. It is play sand, I just shoveled it in from the sand box
tongue.png
I think it looks weird from the flash and it's wet.

Yes! how big is your coop? Mine is large... and I would love to have something that pretty! Here it isn't very cost effective to go with sand, but if it proves to be effective....

I spend so little time cleaning with the DLM that it would be hard to switch, but I love the way it looks! Beautiful Job!
thumbsup.gif

Just this week I switched from hay to sawdust/shavings as I was fed up with the disposal problems - we've had a damp spell that makes it very hard to burn even with fuel.
At least shavings can go in the wood-burner. The chickens were a nightmare that first evening and had to be herded into the coop. They weren't much better the next night but now, three days into the experiment, they're happy with it - plus the fact it's got colder, that helps: ha ha ha...

Ah it looks so nice. I tried it too,but my coop developed a really funky poo-ish smell despite daily scooping. I still like the idea of it.I will try again in my next coop. I DID add a sandbox into mine a few days ago.

38921_feeder.jpg

I ended up using both. I hated the feel of the sand underfoot IN the coop, just too weird, and got obsessed about scooping it because i could *see* the poop so easily, so ended up putting shavings on top of the sand and am VERY happy with the combination. Soft underfoot, warm for the birds, and very very dry. I don't track shavings out of the coop now, because its so dry it doesn't stick on the bottom of my shoes!

Back
Top Bottom