I did it.! No laughing please!

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
So - I got an old rabbit hutch( 6+' x3+') from the feed store for $30 - an 8x12 chain link run from a neighbor for $20. I already had white & green paint and I work for a lumber company, so I've been gathering scraps in the warehouse (& the guys kept an eye out for good pieces for me
smile.png
). Me, a jigsaw and a hammer. I couldn't bring myself to take "before" pics because that would have meant pausing before cleaning it....poor former bunny tenants! I'm pretty sure you couldn't find a right angle if you tried! But - I did it.
big_smile.png
As my birds get older and bigger, higher roosts will be added as well as nest boxes in and underneath the coop. I'm almost 5', so getting under there is no problem. For perspective, the coop floor comes to just under my hips, so is almost 3 feet high. Suggestions are - of course - most welcome.

102722_1st_coop.jpg

I just finished it - the ramp has been straightened a bit since....

102722_coop_2.jpg

An hour later we had our daily downpour - the tiny pile of fluff in the bottom right corner are my 3 silkies (9-10 wks. old), whom I convinced to go in during the rain. They are the only current residents. My 4 little girls are 5 and 2 weeks old - they'll move in when they're a bit bigger.

I decided to leave the coop open. The current tarp will soon be replaced with one that is much larger and covers the pen completely. The entire pen will be lined with 4 foot small mesh in the next couple days and I'm trying to figure the best place for a "sand-bath-pit". ...and I'm still never letting my fuzzy butts see this sight and the breathtaking coops on it - I'm just going to let them think theirs is fine!
Thanks for looking and for any recommendations!

Nice job. I like the colors, nice and bright.
celebrate.gif

Do I detect a little bunny in the first pic?

(Methinks mayhaps you brought home a not entirely empty hutch.)
wink.png

Ya citychickx6 - the hutch did come home empty, but our two bunnies go for playtime with the silkies for most of the day. You can't see her in the pic, but there is also a black baby bunnster in there. The silkies chase her sometimes:(. I often find all chicks and bunnies piled up for naptime in the afternoons.

Quote:
That must be an adorable sight! Coop looks great and chicks don't care even if everything is crooked. ( I know from experience
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom