I did something icky to 3 of my 2wk old keets yesterday...

Just curious Mr bellmere Do poultry keepers in Australia have to go through certification in order to sell their poultry out of the region they are raised?

Here in order to sell between states you have to be NPIP certified.
"
Testing Birds for NPIP Certification

Required tests for certification in the NPIP are Salmonella Pullorum/Typhoid. Mycoplasma Synoviae and Avian Influenza are optional, but may be necessary for your specific business. Salmonella and Mycoplasma are tests on individual bird serum performed by the producer/owner"

http://www.cpif.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=100

deb
Oh you bully you.

How come you arent considering leg bands for the adults. There is a HUGE slection out there. Some require tools some do not.

Or is it because you want the same banding method for all.

deb

Yah, I wanted to use the same method for all, plus I was not sure of the size needed.

I believe the ones that go on the wings stay on forever. They go through a bit of skin behind the ligament that is part of their flying mechanism. Kind of like an earring. The band is designed to accomodate that ligament for the whole life of the bird.

deb

Quote:

Yah, it's just a one time thing, they fit for life.

Oh you bully you.

C'mere, you're next mr bellmere! I'm not gonna pierce your wing webbing tho !!!
gig.gif

Hey Peeps With Regard to NPIP testing.... Do you have to band or ID every bird.... Or just the ones that are tested. I was looking for NPIP info the other night just curious about the process you are giong through. Still haven't dug out California's requirements. But the Ohio one says they only test a Portion of your flock not all of them. and those birds that are tested are the ones that get banded.

Does California require that you band or ID and test them all?

deb

Hey Peeps With Regard to NPIP testing.... Do you have to band or ID every bird.... Or just the ones that are tested. I was looking for NPIP info the other night just curious about the process you are giong through. Still haven't dug out California's requirements. But the Ohio one says they only test a Portion of your flock not all of them. and those birds that are tested are the ones that get banded.

Does California require that you band or ID and test them all?

deb

A lot of states' poultry laws regarding NPIP certification and shipping eggs, keets/chicks and adults over state lines are not as strict as CA's are... But in CA all birds definitely have to be tested for P-T, if your flock is under 300. It's recommended that all birds be banded with some sort of ID # in the info I've read thru so far, but I'm not sure that it's a specific requirement for the entire flock or not, since I haven't actually been thru the process yet. (Even if it's not required, I'm banding all my birds anyway so I can keep records on everybody, just to stay better organized like I do with my horses, dogs cats etc).

I poked around online a couple years before I finally decided to just contact the State's NPIP agency and request the info personally. I initially got a couple short pdf files to read thru so I could decide if I wanted to go thru the certification process or not. Once I replied back that I wanted to move forward with it, they sent me a HUGE packet of info/paperwork and application forms.

C'mere, you're next mr bellmere! I'm not gonna pierce your wing webbing tho !!!
gig.gif

Oooook! I couldnt fit another piercing in!!!!!! ;)

Just curious Mr bellmere Do poultry keepers in Australia have to go through certification in order to sell their poultry out of the region they are raised?

Here in order to sell between states you have to be NPIP certified.
"

We dont have any laws here in Asutralia so to speak. We have a few transprt companies that deal with birds & pest & ship them around no problems. I have bought birds from Victoria to Queensland & also eggs from Western Australia without any dramas. Not for poultry anyway. Parrots ect are another story tho.

Back
Top Bottom