I did the deed with one of my meat rabbits today. Graphic

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
So I had two trios and I decided that I wanted to trim the herd. I culled the mutt buck. It was a hard decision as he was my favorite of my two males. The other male is a pure breed NZ and kind of skidish. I kept him cause he is just bigger than the Cal NZ cross boy. I bred the Cal NZ cross to two of my females. They both only had litters of 5. My hope is the NZ will produce a larger litter.

As for the deed, it was not easy. Not so easy at all. Actually it was easy. But the actual killing part was hard. I used the broomstick method. I heard the cracking of his neck. I don't think he died right away as his legs were still moving and I had to keep pulling to try to end it faster. No not so easy at all.
sad.png
I wonder if I am going to be able to do the deed on the ducks and chickens I ordered. No not easy. But this was the first thing I had ever killed. I didn't cry. I didn't lose my lunch.

He is sitting in my fridge in a brine solution now. I will slow cook him. Got any good recipes?

It's never pleasant, or easy to do, but it does get a little easier over time if that is what you intend to raise them for. I am looking at adding meat rabbits to my little homestead as well. I can cull my birds but at times have to "work myself up" to doing the deed.

I usually just dice mine up and fry in bacon grease.

Got this recipe from AK button Mama

curried rabbit
1 whole rabbit
1 family size can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup of dry sherry (or cooking wine)
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter

all that goes in the crock pot on low/medium- dont even have to mix it/
cook till it falls apart-
remove bones add meat back to the sauce-
serve over fluffy white rice or couscous
top it with pepper and table onions sliced thinly (green onions)

I raised a turkey to eat and when it came down to it I couldnt dress him out myself, I did find someone who would do it for me for a small fee I cant wait to get him back, I bet he is going to be good! Home rasied really doesnt compare to anything you buy in the store. I am sure it will get easier as you raise more, the outcome is worth all the hard work. I have always wanted to try raising rabbits for meat just havent found the time yet.

Last edited:
They will still move a bit after-like a chicken flaps around after it's head is cut off.

Do you double breed? Like breed the does then re-breed 12 hours or less later? If not, I would do so, this helps get the litter #s up.

Well, we ate the guy for dinner. I slow cooked him in my crock pot with some salt, pepper, garlic, onions and rosemary. This was definitely the best "chicken" the kids ever ate they said. He was really good. The only complaint is that he was too salt. I guess after brining him for a day no more salt was required.
Although it was very hard to do. I would do it again. Healthy meat for the kids. Next time I want fried rabbit. Or I will try the rabbit curry recipe.

Back
Top Bottom