I discovered I have a second rooster. What do I do?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Jun 5, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Okay so I just discovered that I have a second rooster. All my birds are roughly 8 weeks old, and I have a total of 14. Some weeks back I discovered I had a barred rock cockerel. I decided to keep it since I live in an area where I can keep extra roosters. Well tonight I discovered rooster #2 and I'm unsure how they will work together. My second rooster is a Polish breed, considerably smaller than my barred rock rooster. Can I keep both roosters or will they just fight and kill each other?

Part 2: If I can only keep one rooster which should I keep? How do polish cross-breed with other non-polish birds and how do barred rock cross? I plan on hatching eggs some day and I'd like to keep whichever cockerel will produce the neatest offspring.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You can keep both if they are raised together they are fine. I have five roos running around together and they have little spats but nothing big...they all know their place in the pecking order. I have bantam and LF together. IF you keep the polish I"m afraid that they will have the tuffs on the head and maybe look odd LOL I would keep the barred rock if you were to keep only one. I think you could create some pretty cool chicks that way [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd keep both... you'll end up with some cool mixes.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Because they were raised together they may do fine in the same coop. sometimes having one considerably smaller means he is less likely to challenge the other roo. Fortunately you have enough hens so that they won't get too much male attention.

5. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Right on, I was hoping I could keep both. I remember at the start I told myself I didn't want any roosters and they'd either end up on my dinner plate or on a friends farm. But after 8 weeks you get kind of attached to the little ones. 2 roosters 12 hens, ok no more of you girls better be boys! Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by