I don' t get it.

My ducks are 2 1/2 weeks now. I put them in the bathtub every morning while I clean out their box and freshen the food and water dishes. I usually throw a handful of cut up kale or lettuce or some Cheerios for them to have fun with. The water is deep enough that they can swim freely if they want, or stand up at the shallow end of the tub. I don't really know how long to leave them in there- I usually just watch and if more than 1 is standing in the shallow end instead of swimming, I call an end to it. Once swim time is over I pull the plug, which seems to be the signal that it's time to start ducking heads and preening. They will continue to do this until the water is all gone, and I usually leave them in there just a few minutes longer to get rid of some of the extra water that might have soaked them. Then it's back to the box with the light a little closer than usual to make it a tad warmer until they are all fluffed up and dry. I know the oil glands are working because the water is beading up more on their heads and backs than before. Their tummies still get pretty soaked though.

Today I saw a bit of mischievous behavior for the first time... one of them reached over and grabbed the tail of another.
gig.gif
It caused a bit of squeaking and splashing.

I never put ducklings in water until they have most feathers. However. I do allow Mother Ducks to take them into water as early as they want. And that I have seen in freezing temps and just a few days old.

I never put ducklings in water until they have most feathers. However. I do allow Mother Ducks to take them into water as early as they want. And that I have seen in freezing temps and just a few days old.

Oh I know. Makes me cringe....but mother knows best........ I hope.

My baby has gotten a bath every morning since I got him. When he was small he could swim circles in the sink, even diving! but when he got about 2 weeks old, he'd just soak up water and sink lol. I just made the water as deep as his legs are tall, so he could still get clean. Now he uses a kiddy pool outside or the tub on rainy days, but I still only give just enough water to bathe. I took him to my pond last week, thinking he is almost fully feathered, he should be able to swim. He did float fine, but didn't seem to enjoy it at all, came right back out.

Back
Top Bottom