I don't even know my girls?

When you got the hens, what was your reason in getting them?
For the eggs, to have animals, for the meat, or to give them a better life?
You may have bought them from a slimeball and they may not lay an egg a day, but it depends how you feel about them.
My cousin stopped by a farm to get a couple hens and walked away with as many that could fit in her vehicle, this person wanted to downsize and had too many for the size of the coop and they rarely went outside. She decided to save them even though there was a chance they didn't lay, she couldn't leave them. They now free-range and have a happy chicken life and once in a while, they say thank you by laying an egg.

When you got the hens, what was your reason in getting them?
For the eggs, to have animals, for the meat, or to give them a better life?
You may have bought them from a slimeball and they may not lay an egg a day, but it depends how you feel about them.
My cousin stopped by a farm to get a couple hens and walked away with as many that could fit in her vehicle, this person wanted to downsize and had too many for the size of the coop and they rarely went outside. She decided to save them even though there was a chance they didn't lay, she couldn't leave them. They now free-range and have a happy chicken life and once in a while, they say thank you by laying an egg.
I had many reasons for wanting them. I do want eggs and I am eventually going to have the means to start a soup kitchen in my area. I have about 5 acres and I learning how to grow veggies in a green house I have planted a bunch of fruit trees I will be getting a calf and a mamma cow and raise chickens. My husband recently purchased an enclosed trailer for me that is set up to be a food truck so I want to be able to provide meals and food for people that do not have the means to provide for themselves. I know it is a long way in the making but that is what I would like to do and that was what I was thinking when I got the hens. However since purchasing those hens I have fallen in love with chickens and so I have now gotten some baby EE that I am raising up they were straight runs so I know I will have a few roosters I will keep 1 or 2 of them and either sell or trade the others with a friend who also has chickens. I also have 10 baby ISO browns that are all hens that I am raising. As far as the older hens I will keep them around to help me with my gardening and just take this as a valuable lesson but those girls are the reason I fell in love with chickens so they will have a good happy chicken life here with me.

While it doesn't change anything.....

You are certainly not the first that has ended up with older, infested birds. I am sorry that she was not honest with you.
I am glad you have been able to help them back to health and will give them a good life.

I know many say sex links stop laying, develop reproductive issues and die under 3-4 years old. While that CAN happen it does not ALWAYS happen.
In my flock are 2 black sex links that are over 5 and are still my best layers. I have had California Whites that at age 7 were still laying 3-4 eggs a week.

Back
Top Bottom