i don't have a clue

ms

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
i have no clue what i am doing. my family gave my kids three chickens and a rooster. they said if i wanted more chicks that i had to just let the hen sit on the eggs. i have twentyfive eggs out there and i need to know how to tell if they have babies in there are are they just rotten. i really don't have a clue what to do. some of the eggs are brown and the others are green. i have started taking the new ones out. please can someone tell me what to do.

that all depends on if you want more babies. if you have a roo then those eggs probably are fertile. depending on which day she laid them by day 7 or even earlier (day 7 to be sure) you will be able to see development in the eggs. this is going to look like a big veiny spider. that is how you tell. other then that if you jsut want to check fertility when she lays the egg crack it open and look up pictures of a fertile egg. there should be a little bullseye looking spot on the yolk. that says its fertile. hope this helps

on day seven you have to candle them to see the veiny things! sorry forgot to say that

Last edited:
First, your hen has to be broody and then she will sit on the eggs continuously. If a hen does go broody and starts sitting, try and mark the eggs with something, that way you can keep up with them. My broody has "found" 5 extra eggs and I didn't get the first 12 marked. <sigh>

thanks, i guess with these eggs i'll just wait and see. she does sit on them. thanks you for your help.

Welcome to BYC.

First thing you need to know is that a lot of hens NEVER go broody. Simply laying an egg doesn't make them want to hatch and raise chicks.

I would go out and collect all the eggs and toss them unless you know for sure you have a setting hen. If you know a hen is setting you can candle the eggs and see if anything is in there. With a roo on the job they are most likely fertile. (Makes no never mind you can still eat them if you collect them daily.)

If you toss them be careful, wear gloves and have a trash bag in hand. Rotten eggs that explode in your hands is something you don't want to experience.

Collect your eggs several times a day and use them in your kitchen.

If a hen does go broody put her somewhere separate from the others. Hens will lay in the same nests. they aren't picky. LOL

Keep us updated and let us know what you do. Most of all remember to have fun with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom