I don't know how anybody does it!

foureyeddragon

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I came home from work today to find my d'uccle running around the driveway and my buff orp squawking her head off still in the run. Not sure how the d'uccle got out, best guess is that she dug under the fence. Let the buff out and after 30 minutes of chasing the d'uccle around the two chickens are reunited and roaming the lawn together.

However, I don't know how any sane person manages to let their chickens free range without going crazy worrying about them! I SHOULD be studying, instead I am jumping up every five minutes to go look out the windows to see where they are and what they are doing. Ugh! I just hope they go back to the coop tonight!

You need a gigantic property to have free range chickens. If i were you i would still put in a fence but give them the same amount of space

Is 150 acres big enough?
big_smile.png

They have a 6 x 6 enclosure. I was hoping they could be free range to help with our major tick problem.

Is your run covered? Maybe it flew over...

Anyway, My birds free range. I only lock them in at night. They stick pretty close to home though. I have a lot of trees, and my biggest predator problem here is a hawk or two. Coons on occassion... Not often.

My first year with my birds, I was constantly doing what you are doing now. Checking constantly. SO, I am thinking, maybe you should take a lounge chair outside, sit in it and study and watch your birds that way.

My chickens free range, they can range for miles if they wish, but they stay fairly close to the coop. I have lost a few here and there, not many though...but they all voted for freedom and said they'll take their chances.

Is your run covered? Maybe it flew over...

Anyway, My birds free range. I only lock them in at night. They stick pretty close to home though. I have a lot of trees, and my biggest predator problem here is a hawk or two. Coons on occassion... Not often.

My first year with my birds, I was constantly doing what you are doing now. Checking constantly. SO, I am thinking, maybe you should take a lounge chair outside, sit in it and study and watch your birds that way.

My run is covered, the only thing I can figure is that because she is smaller maybe she managed to slip under the fence. They have been making themselves a dust bath right at the fence line and there is a 2 inch or so gap now between the fence and the ground. I am surprised that she didn't get stuck. That's the only gap I found.

They were sticking pretty close to my house, they wandered around the front yard, the driveway, and back to the back yard. Last night right as the sun was going down I found them by the coop and was able to chase them back in, so happy ending there. I had vision of chasing chickens in the dark. I really didn't expect the one that I call Shy Chicken to wander so far. She is sooo skiddish, any time I approach the enclosure she falls over herself trying to get back intot he coop as fast as she can. Beatrice, the buff orp, has no fear. She will even puff herself up and face my dog.

Our coup has wire running under it. No chickens out, no predators in. I sit outside when my chickens are free-ranging. It gets me outside, but gives me an excuse to just sit in my lawn chair reading for a couple of hours!

So tell me what is the problem, you have plenty of room, they stayed near the house, a dog to keep watch....why would a six by six pen be appealing? You just want to keep them safe? But you want them to be healthy and happy too right? I can only imagine the looks I would get if I put mine in a pen...

Back
Top Bottom