I don't know how much time I'll actually be spending on here.

Spots Daddy

Chirping
Aug 1, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my first 16 chicks in April. 2017. I was 62.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
20 but there were 17 others who are now gone.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Barred Rock, New Hampshire. Production Red (Hatchery variety), Rhode Island Red, ISA Brown, Australorp, Bantams: Mottled Cochin, Silkie, Serama
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
How funny they are. I don't eat many eggs but it's nice to give them away.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, Online Trivia, Chicken related construction.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I are both retired and in our 60s. We have a dog and an old cat who hates the dog and never comes downstairs. Spot is one of my remaining hens from my first batch. She's my favorite and losing her will be very hard. My user name should be 'Spot's Daddy' but the site wouldn't allow the apostrophe.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Searching for an answer to a question about the Seramas.
2017-05-16.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Spot's Daddy and welcome to BYC :frow We are happy you have joined our community !!
Thank you. I'm somewhat confused about navigating this site and I really need an answer to a question. I've always had a problem with search terms. Maybe you could advise me on how to find the answer. I was recently given 7 Bantams (my first ones) by someone who's sister could no longer keep them. 2 of them were Seramas: a rooster and a pullet. I seems that the male reached sexual maturity on the day I got them and began to violently attempt to mate with the pullet who was obviously much younger than him. I would like them to mate eventually but she hasn't even started laying yet. When should I let them be together; how long after she starts laying ? Side note, I let the rooster run with my 13 standard hens and they submit to be mounted by him. He does the best he can but no eggs are getting fertilized--if you get my drift !

Welcome! Spot looks like a very content chicken, snoozing on her towel. You take great care of them!
She's about 6 weeks old here and actually has the spots for which she is named. The first time she went through a full molt, almost all of the spots were gone. "You thought you'd give me a cute name ? Well now it's an ironic one; take that !"
20200412_165349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom