I don't know how much time I'll actually be spending on here.

Thank you. I'm somewhat confused about navigating this site and I really need an answer to a question. I've always had a problem with search terms. Maybe you could advise me on how to find the answer. I was recently given 7 Bantams (my first ones) by someone who's sister could no longer keep them. 2 of them were Seramas: a rooster and a pullet. I seems that the male reached sexual maturity on the day I got them and began to violently attempt to mate with the pullet who was obviously much younger than him. I would like them to mate eventually but she hasn't even started laying yet. When should I let them be together; how long after she starts laying ? Side note, I let the rooster run with my 13 standard hens and they submit to be mounted by him. He does the best he can but no eggs are getting fertilized--if you get my drift !
I would not breed a rooster who was mean to a hen. However, he may just be young and hormonal. Separate him and give him a little time to mature, and then, reevaluate.
And, Welcome to BYC!

:welcome :frow A Serama chick in the feed dish with another one in the top of the picture checking out the chick in the feed dish. Good luck and have fun...
IMG_3689.JPG

I would not breed a rooster who was mean to a hen. However, he may just be young and hormonal. Separate him and give him a little time to mature, and then, reevaluate.
And, Welcome to BYC!
I figured out that there was no simple answer. I just let him have supervised access to her and see how she reacts. She hasn't started laying yet so I know she's still too young. Maybe after she has been laying for a month or two I will be able to leave them together.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Keep the little lover with the big girls. Wait until the Serama pullet is laying then you can house her with the cockerel. Do you plan to keep them separate from the LF flock?
In the Winter, all the Bantams will move to the basement; maybe the Cochins will be OK staying in the main coop with the standard hens,.We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom