I don't know how to price them!

LogCabinChicks

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Hello again! Well, we successfully raised 14 Cornish Cross that ended up being between 5 to 7.5 lbs., very tasty experience. :) We kept them all for ourselves so we didnt' have to figure out how much to sell them for. But now my husband decided to try turkeys! We have 10 bronze double breasted. We want to keep three for ourselves and sell the rest for Thanksgiving. I have no idea how to price them. They are 4 months old now. We got them at 8 weeks old and they were eating 1 50lb bag of feed per two weeks. At about 12 weeks they started eating a bit more, etc. They are now 16 weeks old eating 2 50lb bags a week. The feed is $11.99 at my local feed store. They free range as soon as we get home from work and are free all days Saturday and Sunday. They love to hang out by the chicken run -- yes, they love to tease the chickens. They also eat tons of gardne scraps, love squash and zuchinni seeds and go through the garden eating bugs and moths. We have spent approximately $130 in feed so far and quite a bit to go. If each turkey ends up being between 12-18 lbs (so averaging 15lbs) and we charge $4.00 per pound, is that too much?? Will people really pay $60 for a Turkey?
ep.gif

Not sure where you are at but here in Kentucky, at the organic grocery stores they were selling turkeys last Thanksgiving for over $100. That's why I am raising my own this year, no way will I pay that much. It was the Kroger special for us last year and I was some what under whelmed by the turkey.

Oh another thing, I think if you are selling to the public you have to have them processed where you get the USDA certified. If you are processing them for your consumption it doesn't matter but for selling it does. Had a friend who sold beef and chicken at the farmer's market and that is what she told me.

Oh another thing, I think if you are selling to the public you have to have them processed where you get the USDA certified. If you are processing them for your consumption it doesn't matter but for selling it does. Had a friend who sold beef and chicken at the farmer's market and that is what she told me.

There are ways around that issue.
If you sell the bird alive then the new owner can hire you to butcher it.
Charge a dollar and now no laws are being broken.

Thanks for all the replies..really appreciate it. I did some more searching and people really do pay $4 to $6 a pound for turkeys! Crazy...but it helps with the overall feed cost. Gonna miss they little (big) buggers they are really are funny. Follow us around the yard, peck at the back door, follow my husband around on the tractor -- they love that Deere! Totally different that a chicken flock. Great experience, will definitely get some more next year.

Back
Top Bottom