I don't know how to promote my eggs!! Help please!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MelissaH, Aug 24, 2013.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Swanton, VT
    Hello everyone!
    This is my first year with chickens, and I have more eggs than I know what to do with, both chicken and duck eggs actually. I was just wondering, how do you promote your eggs? Are there any specific ways that work well? Any thoughts, suggestions, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! -Mel

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    sometimes states have different laws, so check local laws before following this advice.

bring it up at work, you would be surprised at how many you can sell.

put a sign in the yard. it works pretty well.

depending on laws, some local country stores will buy them to sell or allow you to sell them there.

if you have a rooster, advertise them as fertile hatching eggs. you can get a bit more money for fertile eggs. but its slowing down this time of year.

craigslist. your phone will probably ring off the hook.

be careful not to over-advertise. it's usually easy to sell eggs.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Word of mouth has worked best for me. I put a flier up at work, and told folks at church. I give the first dozen away free (hey, it works for crack dealers, right [​IMG] ) and deliver them to work or church. Those have been my main customers. I've sold some to my kid's parents. Even my ds14's friends love going in the coop and collecting eggs! I figure any chance I have to promote local, healthier, humane food is a win.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I gave some eggs away, just 6 here and there and put word out. The people who bought from me told others and it didn't take long before I had more customers than I could handle! Good quality eggs sell themselves. Work out more or less how many eggs you can expect per week, then ask your customers if they'd mind putting in a fixed order per week. Say you get 10 doz eggs per week. Try and get fixed orders for 8 doz. This way you make sure your eggs will sell and you will have some spare, for when the hens take a day off. Good luck!

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you don't have neighbors or relatives who want them, it can be tough. I've had chickens for 20 years & in the beginning I had aunts & other relatives that wanted them. In the last few years I sell very few & have 20 dozen from the last 3 weeks in my frig. My problem is many fold. I live way up off a main road, no neighbors close by & husband will not take them to work (I don't work). I've tried Craigslist, but only sold some once. $2 is too expensive around here even though crappy store eggs are usually at least $2. If you have work or other outlets you may be OK. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by