I don't know if anyone would have an answer...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jfulcher, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Does anyone know the terms for feed stores buying chicks from people? If you do know the terms let me know them or what they usually are. I have one down the street from me and want to know before I head there with my chicks if I would be laughed at or accepted.

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    My feed store only sells chicks from the hatchery, but they have a community bulletin board that anyone is allowed to post on. You never know till you ask.

3. coreybee

coreybee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Nottingham, PA
    I would call ahead and ask before you go to the trouble of getting them all ready to go, and putting the stress on them, just for them to turn you away. You've got a 50/50 chance, so it wouldn't hurt.

Good Luck!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Do you mean you want them to buy back chicks you bought from them or you're wanting to start selling chicks and would like them to choose you as a vendor? If you're trying to become a vendor, I would not bring live chicks to a first sales call. I'd bring photos and printed information to leave with them (peeping chicks would be a distraction).

5. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I doubt if they would buy them. Buying from large hatcheries allows them to take advantage of things like bulk vaccinations etc... Pretty hard for the small breeder to compete.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Consignment. That is likely the term you are looking for.

That feed store MAY offer your chicks for sale on consignment, or might allow a posting of a sign etc. The reason, of course, for feed stores to do any live sales or encourage live sales is to increase the market for the feed and supplies they sell.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If they're reluctant about consignment, you also might talk with them about a deal where you operate a stand outside their store on certain days. Then, they are only giving up a bit of sidewalk space rather than carrying the burden of caring for and selling your chicks. This was how the fellow I bought my chicks from operates. He puts up a shed next to the store and comes every Saturday in spring to sell chicks to pre-order customers (and offers the extras too). The store doesn't have to handle the sales or any care at all but they get people coming in for feed and other supplies in exchange for using their location and parking lot space. HOWEVER, a license is required in my state to do this. That is something you should check on as well if you haven't yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by