I don't know if I'm cut out to breed quality lines of chickens...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chellester, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I have been thinking about breeding a couple lines of high-quality chickens, but I don't know if I have it in me, because in order to do so, I will have to cull the ones with obvious faults to keep my flock of high quality. (When I say "cull" I don't mean kill, I mean sell or give away.)

The thing is, it's hard for me to hatch them, get attached, and then have to let them go at some point. And even if I sell them or give them away, I can't guarantee they'll all go to good homes no matter how hard I try to make sure that they do.

If you do this, how to you handle it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I feel your pain! Much as I realize I can't keep absolutely everybody, I sure want to. The ones I know I can't keep, I just try to keep some distance in my mind; which is hard because I handle ALL my chicks so their new owners will be amazed at how tame they are and have an easy time.

3. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    It's not easy for any of us. Especially when you are looking for that 1 in a 100 bird. I do all of my own culling. I try to sell obvious culls as early on as possible, those that start out then don't make the grade I always try to place those next and my final cut I seperate out as soon as I see the flaw and pen it seperately from the more potential birds. Thus defining the lines as soon as possible. If I am finished with a particular bird I'll hold on to it till I can sell it or give it away. My last option is the soup pot and yes I put them their too [​IMG] But it was a decision I new I'd have to do getting into the birds.

4. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    That's one of the reasons I quit breeding dogs. I had nightmares when it came time to sell puppies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by